Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 02:10 PM

Re: Plastic waste from Supermarkets

We have got so used to plastic bowls and buckets over the years, so would it mean reversing back to the old white enamel bowls an buckets which used to chip easily?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We have got so used to plastic bowls and buckets over the years, so would it mean reversing back to the old white enamel bowls an buckets which used to chip easily?
I still have some, in the shed.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The Chinese are banning single use plastic and plastic bags in cities by the end of 2020, all major towns and cities by 2022 and completely by 2025. At least someone has a plan.
The same is true of California which banned single use plastic bags 2 years ago.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The same is true of California which banned single use plastic bags 2 years ago.

Gardeners are encouraged to re-use 'single use plastic'.

We use the big 'pop' bottles cut in half to make mini-cloches for seedlings and/or bird feeders, and plastic trays from fruit and veg as seed trays and plant pot saucers or bigger clothes for seed trays.
Plastic flower pots needn't be thrown away, I wash them and re-use them.
I'm sure there are many other ways to use things too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:33 PM

I always used to reuse plastic carrier bags by using them as bin liners. Now I can't get hold of them, I have to buy bin liners which are used once.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I always used to reuse plastic carrier bags by using them as bin liners. Now I can't get hold of them, I have to buy bin liners which are used once.

That's a thought, what else could they make bin liners out of if they are not plastic? Paper would be no good, as it would need to be both strong, and waterproof.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:45 PM

Food didn't have to travel so far in the fifties, and a lot of fresh fruit and veg were grown at home. Nobody walked around with a plastic bottle full of water either. No cars, phones or supermarkets. That's progress for you....

The answer lies, not in substituting plastic, but figuring out how to dispose of it cheaply and easily.....
Somebody could make a shed load of money if they could solve that riddle....

So stop watching boxed sets and surfing the internet and put your thinking caps on....Now if Greta was telling us to find solutions to efficient waste disposal, especially plastic, I would start to listen to her.....Until then I shall continue to scour the verges and hedgerows with my black plastic bag picking up all the rubbish that people have chucked out of their car windows....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a thought, what else could they make bin liners out of if they are not plastic? Paper would be no good, as it would need to be both strong, and waterproof.
They make the food bin liners out of compostable plastic but they start to decompose before they are collected resulting in a gooey mess.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They make the food bin liners out of compostable plastic but they start to decompose before they are collected resulting in a gooey mess.
If they can do that they can make any plastic carrier out of compostable plastic. the Co-op already do use those.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-01-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
If they can do that they can make any plastic carrier out of compostable plastic. the Co-op already do use those.
I agree, I just hope they last until we reach the fridge.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top