Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:48 AM

Re: Mouldy Cheese!

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->

I do not like blue cheese to eat as just cheese - but, as you say, it does make excellent salad dressing. I also use it to make Broccoli and Blue Stilton soup which is delicious

Ditto, S T - I just love brocolli and blue stilton soup and am now about to Google a recipe for blue cheese salad dressing!
Oh, my. Broccoli and Blue stilton soup sounds wonderful. Never had that. Will make some at my earliest. Yum
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:33 PM

I like most cheese but like Tabby, it never lasts long enough to go mouldy. When we were children my Mum used to grater and melt any old leftover cheese or rind, whisk a couple of eggs into it and spread it on toast as a rarebit. It was delicious and I still make it pretty much the same today, albeit with a splash of Worcester sauce... yum yum..
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I like most cheese but like Tabby, it never lasts long enough to go mouldy. When we were children my Mum used to grater and melt any old leftover cheese or rind, whisk a couple of eggs into it and spread it on toast as a rarebit. It was delicious and I still make it pretty much the same today, albeit with a splash of Worcester sauce... yum yum..
So now I'm craving welsh rarebit, I think I'll make some today! Yum yum indeed Barry
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:56 PM

Hi ST, I can only go on what my lovely late mum told me about mouldy cheese. She never threw cheese away EVER! regardless of whether blue mould spots had appeared or hard crust had formed on cheese. She simply got a knife and pared the offending pieces away. The cheese left was as fresh-tasting as when she first bought it.

I have always done the same, but of course, nowadays we have modern fridges rather than old pantries and larders, so less chance of cheese ''going off''. My offending cheese is more likely to be when HWMO grabs the cheese from the fridge to make himeself a sandwich and then forgets to put the tupperware lid back on properly - hence leaving the cheese inside exposed. TUT!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I don't know , sweetie. I never tried cheese cloth or muslin but perhaps I should.
No wish to start any argument but I find that if I wrap my cheddar cheese in plastic wrap, it lasts much, much longer. No matter what the articles say, I don't find that the cheese takes on the odor of the plastic. The way I figure it, the cheddar cheese comes vacuum packed in plastic.
I'll have to run a few tests, some in cheese cloth and some in plastic wrap to see which lasts the longest and to also do a taste test between cheese cloth and plastic.
http://www.splendidtable.org/story/storing-cheese
No, No, never buy vacuum packed cheese, Bakerman, always buy fresh. It tastes better and lasts longer. Plastic makes it sweat - cheese cloth lets it breathe!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
parchment or greaseproof paper is better than plastic.
Definitely - if you can't use cheesecloth.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-01-2020, 01:58 PM

Oh, my. Broccoli and Blue stilton soup sounds wonderful. Never had that. Will make some at my earliest. Yum
It is delicious, Bakerman.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-01-2020, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Oh yes - Grandma used to do that too - it is wonderful! Damn, I want some now!
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:08 PM

I don't know , sweetie. I never tried cheese cloth or muslin but perhaps I should.
No wish to start any argument but I find that if I wrap my cheddar cheese in plastic wrap, it lasts much, much longer. No matter what the articles say, I don't find that the cheese takes on the odor of the plastic. The way I figure it, the cheddar cheese comes vacuum packed in plastic.
I'll have to run a few tests, some in cheese cloth and some in plastic wrap to see which lasts the longest and to also do a taste test between cheese cloth and plastic.
http://www.splendidtable.org/story/storing-cheese
I'd prefer to try the cheese

My gran used to fry chopped up onions then put some water in boil it off nearly then add chopped up cheese and pour it on a thick slice of homemade bread
Only my blue cheeses have mould
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi ST, I can only go on what my lovely late mum told me about mouldy cheese. She never threw cheese away EVER! regardless of whether blue mould spots had appeared or hard crust had formed on cheese. She simply got a knife and pared the offending pieces away. The cheese left was as fresh-tasting as when she first bought it.

I have always done the same, but of course, nowadays we have modern fridges rather than old pantries and larders, so less chance of cheese ''going off''. My offending cheese is more likely to be when HWMO grabs the cheese from the fridge to make himeself a sandwich and then forgets to put the tupperware lid back on properly - hence leaving the cheese inside exposed. TUT!
That's what I do, much to the disgust of my grandkids. People forget that when cheeses are left to mature, they form a bit of mould on the surface along with a rind. Naturally, this is removed before the cheese is sold.

As a fan of Danish Blue, Gorgonzola and Blue Stilton, mouldy cheeses holds no fear for me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top