Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 10:23 PM

Plastic waste from Supermarkets

What do you think of this?

'Italian shoppers are in for a 20% discount on loose supermarket goods in a pioneering attempt to cut plastic waste.
The government scheme is designed to push shops into selling detergent, rice, flour and other items from dispensers, with customers filling their own bags and paying by weight.

This comes as a new report shows the plastic footprint has increased in seven out of ten of the top UK supermarkets. Only Waitrose, Sainsbury's & Tesco have so far achieved slight reductions.'

How do you feel about following the Italian example, can it work?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:22 PM

Re: Plastic waste from Supermarkets

In the small town where I live, located in the West of Scotland, our greengrocer has, for a good few years now, offered this facility. Cannot believe that it is only now "taking on"?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:27 PM

Something has to be done about the over use of plastic packing.We had an assortment of fruit from the local greengrocer yesterday and nearly of it was in plastic containers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 12:06 AM

The Chinese are banning single use plastic and plastic bags in cities by the end of 2020, all major towns and cities by 2022 and completely by 2025. At least someone has a plan.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 02:08 AM

Malaysia have told us to sling our hook and sent the plastic waste back to us. They don't want it any longer... and I can't blame them.
Once we have to dispose of ourselves it as a country, is when something positive will be enforced.
Some of the packaging is almost impossible to get into at times.
Our local greengrocer have gone green ! Paper carrier bags or long life canvas bags , and some items of food are in containers to be dispensed. It seems to work well for them, and the public are happy.
I could see it being a bit of a problem for the supermarkets though, as it takes a while longer to fill a bag with rice (without dropping it everywhere) and queues could be an issue . Much quicker to pick up a bag of rice whilst doing the supermarket shop.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The Chinese are banning single use plastic and plastic bags in cities by the end of 2020, all major towns and cities by 2022 and completely by 2025. At least someone has a plan.
Bruce have a read of Quarterly Essay "Red Flag" by Peter Hartcher. You can get it at any bookshop. Banning plastic bags isn't all they're planning. As for plastic bags here. I agree that they should go. They can sell cloth bags at the store that can be reused. Why not?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 06:22 AM

We used to have a shop which sold flour, rice etc., from large bins - customers filled their own bags which were weighed at the till.

Pros:
You bought just the quantity you needed.
Less plastic.

Cons:
Unhygienic - the bins were open topped.
Staff put new flour/rice on top of old flour/rice as the level in the bins went down.
Flour/rice etc., full of weevils.
Children with sticky fingers playing about in the bins.
Customers coughing/sneezing over the bins.

Would much prefer a return to using paper bags.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 07:44 AM

What's wrong with paper bags?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Nothing at all!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->

Nothing, is there?
Flour has always been in paper bags to my knowledge, so why not other stuff too.

Only thing I can think of immediately, is paper is more likely to tear perhaps.

Some places have ditched plastic milk containers and have gone back to glass as well.

The place I buy my moisturiser from has changed to glass for her face and body creams now too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top