Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:49 AM

Chernobyl and YOU

I have just watched a couple of absolutely top series from Netflix and HBO.

You - Watched series 1 and 2 over consecutive weeks, once I had started watching I couldn't stop. Really creepy and so exciting, I wonder if there will be a third series?

Chernobyl - well made, gripping and in many way quite terrifying. I certainly never realised how close they came to a massive disaster. I wonder if someone will make a similar drama about the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster and its aftermath.

All I can say is thank gawd Australia only has one tiny nuclear reactor (not that being tiny is much comfort).
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:45 PM

Re: Chernobyl and YOU

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have just watched a couple of absolutely top series from Netflix and HBO.

You - Watched series 1 and 2 over consecutive weeks, once I had started watching I couldn't stop. Really creepy and so exciting, I wonder if there will be a third series?

Chernobyl - well made, gripping and in many way quite terrifying. I certainly never realised how close they came to a massive disaster. I wonder if someone will make a similar drama about the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster and its aftermath.

All I can say is thank gawd Australia only has one tiny nuclear reactor (not that being tiny is much comfort).
Yep when I saw Chernobyl quite a while back I agree with you it was a eye opener and still they are not certain just how much dust spread to neighbouring country's on the wind.

This YOU I have never heard of but will be on the lookout for.

Going back to the nuclear plants there was talk a few years back of Britain having a few more built think it was a French company that was going to build them.
After watching Chernobyl I was thinking and hoping that they were put on ice or forgotten about.
After all our Government or perhaps it was more foreign investments have spent quite a lot on wind farms and the like.
Although I don't think any householder in Britain as seen any savings in their bills.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 12:05 AM

Chernobyl was something you couldn't turn off. Very dark, powerful and beautifully (If that's the right word) put together. Really captured the arrogance, hypocrisy and brutality of that regime. Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard, Emily Watson, Con O'neill..what a cast.

You we watched as well. Good yarn. Imaginative. I just can't wait for somebody to to waste the little gobsh*te. He needs to go eventually.

Yes there is only one small reactor at Lucas Heights only used for medical and other peaceful and scientific purposes. Our medical research here ios not exactly third world so I guess it's all we need. But even one is too many for my liking. Water - hydro and desalination, wind and the sun could easily supply more than enough energy for all of us. And I am not totally against coal, oil and gas; just part of the power. not all of it. And weapons?..Australia had the chance to go nuclear in the early 1960s. We said no and I'm glad we did. Canada does have a number of reactors for power but not weapons. I think the massive Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric network was probably built in the 1950s to partly to avoid nuclear power. Sorry! swerving off topic..Yep great productions both of those. Recommended
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 12:38 PM

I thought the first series of YOU was superb, one of the best things I have seen on Netflicks but I really couldn't get into the second series, I don't know why but gave up after a few episodes.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top