Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 12:24 PM

Re: Opening a new bank account

You're allocated a National Insurance Number from the day you're born and in my opinion they're bonkers not to use a registry from this to prove who people are.
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:16 PM

National Insurance numbers are easily faked, as are other identity documents, including passports.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Browbeaten ->
National Insurance numbers are easily faked, as are other identity documents, including passports.
Too true! Read in the paper the other day of someone famous (forget who), whose wife almost had her house sold by someone who had faked her passport, got mortgage money, ran off with it, and left the prospective purchaser without their funds, and without the house.

Even if you have your name lodged with the Land Registry it's easy for criminals to gain access to it and defraud the system.
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 01:48 AM

Frightening indeed Jazzi.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 12:48 PM

It is to do with the money laundering regulations and needing a photo identification of either a current Passport or current photocard Driving Licence plus proof of address from a list of possibilities including a utility bill less than 3 months old seems to be the standard requirement.

We may as well have brought in identity cards when the issue was debated some years ago as Passports are now required in the same sort of way so often that it is worth keeping your Passport valid even if you don't intend to go abroad as it is needed so often for financial transactions particularly for example starting an investment with a company you have not dealt with previously.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Hit another problem I am being TUPEd over from one company to another and my lack of a passport is being used to try to stop it happening, I have lived here since birth never left the country, worked at same place for 8-9 years but apparently that isn't enough.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 01:35 PM

I don't have a passport either but I do now have a driving license with the pic of some odd-looking woman on it !

I think I had to get it when I was moving Mum's bank account when I had power of attorney.
Browbeaten
manchester

23-12-2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I don't have a passport either but I do now have a driving license with the pic of some odd-looking woman on it !

Nothings changed there then Rachel!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Browbeaten ->
Nothings changed there then Rachel!
Ah you've seen it then
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

I think I had to get it when I was moving Mum's bank account when I had power of attorney.
Then I suggest you send it back to the DVLA and insist they put your photo on it! *tuts*. Honestly: don't these organisations get anything right?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top