Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 10:19 PM

Re: Taking workplace pension at 55

Originally Posted by Mags ->
****Please keep personal bickering and arguments off the forums, any further off topic posts will be deleted. Thank you.
You tell 'em Mags
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
There may not be too many people on the forum who this concerns as I realise many of you are much older, but you may be aware that people who reach the age of 55 are able to withdraw 25% of their workplace pension fund tax free.

I will reach that age in October this year and am about to look into this. Has anyone else done the same?
Hello Nice to chat to you.

I was 55 in June 2018, and took 25% of my pension pot from my employment (for the last 35 years) a nice sum that did and is still doing exactly what I wanted it to do, and also take a pension from it.

What I would say to you is ask for a statement from your pension provider most send one annually and would show you the breakdown.

If you plan to take it and want it as soon as you legally can, let them know a couple of months in advance especially if you are staying in employment as I did.

You simply fill in a form give them bank details and sit back and wait. I have to say I also re-joined my company pension scheme., and also have a small pension from previous employment which I will take at 60.

I loved it working 24 hours and had took a couple of steps backwards career wise so no stress. My mind was thinking often I could sort that but then my brain said "not your job anymore" I came in one day to find a sign on my work locker that said "what do you want to do? ask a boss who is in charge or Karen who knows"

Think my turning point was like you I worked nights for a good few years and we lost 4 people Simon 39 heart attack, Dave 59 heart attack, Liz 61 stroke and Mark last year 57 heart attack (also diabetic 1) nights is not lifestyle friendly. In my opinion.

Have fun.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Good to see you Kazz
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 12:05 AM

I would love to find a way to retire at 55. It's just so boring looking into how the pension works. I know that I can draw at that age but I've not looked into the financials.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I would love to find a way to retire at 55. It's just so boring looking into how the pension works. I know that I can draw at that age but I've not looked into the financials.
It's really not difficult. Just email your pension provider and ask for an "illustration" for taking your pension at 55 both with a 25% lump sum and without a lump sum.

They will tell you exactly how much your pension is worth in total and what that means in terms of monthly payments.

Then you can make your decision.

They will likely send you a form to complete before they can do the illustration (think it was called an LDA form). It's a simple form asking what other pensions you have and what their current value is etc.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I was a postie, too ..... but only a Christmas temp .....

Our Foxy was too, I believe.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
Hello Nice to chat to you.

I was 55 in June 2018, and took 25% of my pension pot from my employment (for the last 35 years) a nice sum that did and is still doing exactly what I wanted it to do, and also take a pension from it.

What I would say to you is ask for a statement from your pension provider most send one annually and would show you the breakdown. I'll be contacting my pension provider nearer the time.

If you plan to take it and want it as soon as you legally can, let them know a couple of months in advance especially if you are staying in employment as I did.

You simply fill in a form give them bank details and sit back and wait. I have to say I also re-joined my company pension scheme., and also have a small pension from previous employment which I will take at 60.

I loved it working 24 hours and had took a couple of steps backwards career wise so no stress. My mind was thinking often I could sort that but then my brain said "not your job anymore" I came in one day to find a sign on my work locker that said "what do you want to do? ask a boss who is in charge or Karen who knows"

Think my turning point was like you I worked nights for a good few years and we lost 4 people Simon 39 heart attack, Dave 59 heart attack, Liz 61 stroke and Mark last year 57 heart attack (also diabetic 1) nights is not lifestyle friendly. In my opinion.

Have fun.
Hi Kazz.
Reading your post there is easily the closest scenario to what I am experiencing. You took your pension at 55, worked nights and at 60 you are looking at taking another pension - as I will be from my RAF service. Like a mirror image in fact!

I've been further looking at this now and it's really going to prove very useful in clearing mine and my wife's debts, her car paid off plus paying for mine and my wife's funerals (in advance), a new bathroom and possibly a nice holiday too - all for a quarter of the pension (the tax free sum).

I will also be able to leave the night shift and beforehand I'll be talking to my firm about a similar job on the day shift (though ideally I don't want to work shifts at all anymore) Perhaps even re-training for a different role at the company.
It does make sense to stay with this company though as I'd lose all my holidays if I started again somewhere else - I'll wait until I'm 60 to do that. We'll see.

But as you say, we see so many people lose their health due to working nights. I've been on them over thirteen years now and I'm almost certain that my chest and coughing complaints are due to these unsociable hours. On my shift of 18 people most of them are or have been suffering illnesses, mostly diabetes-related, heart problems or bad backs and sciatica.

Time to get out then soon and I'm predicting at the most one more year and then it's time to move on.

Nice post, Kazz. Thank you
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 07:07 AM

Hi

Take it Floydy.

I did, it was either me or two of my employees to meet May's cuts.

Younger, kids and a mortgage, so I took the bullet.

I took the maximum Tax Free, paid off the mortgage, downsized, gave the kids the money and so happy now.

Work the system, you can get a lower paid job, wack it into a Pension, get 20% tax relief on it, which is a huge amount, take the maximum lump sum and get another pay out tax free.

Annuities go up and down, cash in the bank is yours.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Work the system, you can get a lower paid job, wack it into a Pension, get 20% tax relief on it, which is a huge amount, take the maximum lump sum and get another pay out tax free.
A reasonable plan Swims so long as one is able to survive on that lower paid job wage. Comes down to lifestyle choice and living within one's means I guess.

My adage has, and will always be, make paying any debts off the first priority because debts accrue interest. Pay the debts off and you massively reduce the overall amount that you will have to pay. Same goes for a mortgage. Pay it off as soon as humanly possible as it can knock tens of thousands of pounds off the total repayable amount.

There's an interesting debate to be had about whether it is better to sit with debts and pay into a pension, or whether it is better to temporarily stop paying into a pension and instead use the available money to pay off the debts.

In the first scenario, running with debts and/or mortgages, you are accruing lots of interest payments making the total repayable amount much higher than it otherwise would be. In the case of a mortgage the difference in interest paid and total repayment amount is staggering. Pay an extra £100 a month off your mortgage and you could save a stonking amount on the total loan and see the mortgage paid off years earlier.

In the second scenario, you put all available monies into paying off the debts and mortgage instead of paying into the pension pot. So your eventual pension amount is less than it otherwise would be but you've saved a collossal amount of money paying the debts/mortgage down.

You're only getting 20% tax relief on the first £2,880 paid into your pension. The amounts you save by paying down more towards a mortgage is surely phenomenally better no?

Interested to hear yours and others thoughts on the debt vs pension equation.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Double check on your tax free entitlement, mine was 33% unknown to me.
I took mine out back in 2013,taking the 25% then reinvesting the rest into a private pot,that were the rules at the time.At the end of last year I received a letter from the then pension provider to get in contact,about being owed some money,which I duly did,it turns out they paid out the 25% which was a mistake after doing some calculations they then paid me another 8% tax free of the original fund,not even my financial advisor at the time knew of this.The 33% was set up by the pension provider.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top