Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nutmeg13
New Member!
Cheshire, UK
Nutmeg13 is female 

06-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Visiting Montenegro

Had a week in Budva last month and the coastline is still stunning but the tourist development is heartbreaking. This small country seems intent on attracting Russian tourists (who can visit without a visa) and seems to have no real interest in the rest of us. Sveti Stefan, the fishermens' island is now part of a swanky hotel group and us common mortals are not allowed to visit it any more or only if we pay and go on a conducted tour! I found this SO disappointing and am glad that I was able to see this unique place many years ago.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 03:08 PM

Re: Visiting Montenegro

Missed this country by one day! It was on our cruise itinerary, but unfortunately Mum had her brain haemorrhage the day before in Kefalonia and we had to disembark.
Nutmeg13
New Member!
Cheshire, UK
Nutmeg13 is female 

06-10-2015, 03:10 PM

Hope you get to go back some time as a cruise is a great way to see this coastline!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:38 AM

People are far more aware now when travelling and this will have adverse effects on places such as Montenegro

An opposition political group began street protests in front of the parliament building in Podgorica on 27 September 2015. Protests are in progress and the main street in front of the parliament building is closed to traffic. Public transport is being diverted via alternative roads

Protests take place occasionally in Montenegro, and are usually peaceful. Keep up to date with local developments, check local media and avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings.

There is an underlying threat from terrorism.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/montenegro
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:01 AM

That is so annoying, spoiling beautiful places.

This was on our list of places to visit, was going to go a couple of years ago when we were in Croatia, but it didn't happen.

We researched it thoroughly as well and Sveti Stefan looked a lovely place to visit.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
That is so annoying, spoiling beautiful places.

This was on our list of places to visit, was going to go a couple of years ago when we were in Croatia, but it didn't happen.

We researched it thoroughly as well and Sveti Stefan looked a lovely place to visit.

It is sad Shirley especially when we are so used to just going off on holiday to a place we want to visit for various reasons.

However without scaremongering and keeping things in perspective, is is now necessary to check some destinations before travelling.

I was on an extended holiday on Rab Island when war broke out in Yugoslavia. Knew trouble was coming, ignored it and had trouble getting out. Not funny at all
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:32 AM

I know what you are saying Solo, we were in Dominic Republic when they were trying to overthrow the president. Was very scary as some of the tourist buses were being blocked and not allowed to get back to their hotels unless they paid a ransom, it was the farmers blocking the road because of fetching food in from other islands instead of using local produce.

I can understand their point of view but it was very scary.
solo
UK

07-10-2015, 10:41 AM

I know what you are saying Solo, we were in Dominic Republic when they were trying to overthrow the president. Was very scary as some of the tourist buses were being blocked and not allowed to get back to their hotels unless they paid a ransom, it was the farmers blocking the road because of fetching food in from other islands instead of using local produce.

I can understand their point of view but it was very scary.
The French farmers have b*****ed up a few of my trips to the continent and believe me there is no entente cordial when that lot get started.

They mean business and if you are English they are happy to show you what they think of us. I have a suitcase that was pitchforked to prove that point.
shirley
Gloucestershire

07-10-2015, 10:47 AM

Its funny Solo not the way you were treated obviously but we know that the majority of the French don't like us. So why do we still go there?
solo
UK

07-10-2015, 10:58 AM

Its funny Solo not the way you were treated obviously but we know that the majority of the French don't like us. So why do we still go there?
Even less reasons to go there now but sadly you still have to go through the darned country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top