Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2016, 12:52 PM

Mt Isa

Last day in Queensland, tomorrow 660km drive along the Barkley Highway to Three Ways Roadhouse in the Northern Territory on the Stuart Highway (which goes between Darwin and Adelaide).

Mount Isa is still the biggest lead, copper, zinc and silver mine in the world since lead was discovered here in 1923. I came here in the 60s when it was still a bit of a wild outback town but now it is a very respectable place - still in the middle of nowhere.

Visited the underground hospital built in 1942 after the bombing of Darwin by the Japanese when they feared Mt Isa was a natural target.

Also looked at the last remaining tent house built for the miners in the 30s - basically a corrugated iron roof built over a house with canvas roof and walls over a timber frame. It was 35' today and this is winter (though it is a very dry heat at this time of year - I like it)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Underground Hospital.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Underground hospital.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt Isa Mines.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	828   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Miners Tent House.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tent House.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	830  

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Re: Mt Isa

Interesting stuff again Bruce, glad the trip is going well.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top