Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:45 PM

Re: Do you pay gas and electric by direct debit?

Originally Posted by Tartlet ->
Lindyloo, you’ll almost certainly be paying more for your gas and electricity than you need to. Prepayment meters are notorious for being more more expensive than than the normal meter no matter who the supplier is.

I don’t think you have anything to fear from smart meters.
I didn't say I had a prepayment meter.............. I just pay by direct debit to the best possible/cheapest supplier........
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:47 PM

I don't do direct debits for anything !
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I didn't say I had a prepayment meter.............. I just pay by direct debit to the best possible/cheapest supplier........
My apologies Lindy. I intended to reply to Monday’s Child. Yet another senior moment.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:56 PM

My apologies Lindy. I intended to reply to Monday’s Child. Yet another senior moment.
No problem......we all do it!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:06 PM

I did check before using the pre payment meter card as I had heard that pre pay was more expensive but as I have always been with Eon and moved both the prepaid meters to them they appeared to give me a good rate. That was 2 years ago so maybe I should check the rates again. I don't appear to be paying a lot though.

Maybe I should look further into the smart meter information as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I did check before using the pre payment meter card as I had heard that pre pay was more expensive but as I have always been with Eon and moved both the prepaid meters to them they appeared to give me a good rate. That was 2 years ago so maybe I should check the rates again. I don't appear to be paying a lot though.

Maybe I should look further into the smart meter information as well.

MC, we had a whole thread on Smart Meters here if you have the patience to read it all.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...t=smart+meters
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 10:51 AM

I pay mine to Scottish Power by DD. I also dictate the amount I wish to pay online. Very often when sending through my monthly meter reading it tells me that my payments will be reduced to xxxx, but I countermand that and keep the payments at the same level.

I put my winter fuel allowance straight in and the web site showed that my payments would be reduced because of the credit, but I changed their amount so that I could continue on the same payment, knowing that my £200 would allow me extra heating when needed. I live to an extremely tight budget, so do not want to worry about any rise in expenses.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
MC, we had a whole thread on Smart Meters here if you have the patience to read it all.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...t=smart+meters
Thanks Mups I will have a read through it before I do anything. 😀
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am furious with N Power because last year they tried to Increase my monthly payment, even though I was in credit by around £200. I called them and said I would not make the increased payment, because I was well aware that charging people more than they should is designed to boost their coffers. They admitted they were wrong, apologized and reduced the payments to the amount I had been paying .
Please check your account with them and make sure they are not trying the same with you, if you pay by direct debit
I don't quite understand this.

I have recently signed up for a direct debit on my electricity but they don't take it every month. Instead of sending me a quarterly bill for the amount used on the meter they merely charge my account for the amount of the bill. I am never in credit or debit.

Personally I have always been against direct debit but I signed up because I am often away for months at a time so I don't receive the bill and, while they haven't done it, they can charge interest on overdue payments (I think they reserve that for constant late payers)
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't quite understand this.

I have recently signed up for a direct debit on my electricity but they don't take it every month. Instead of sending me a quarterly bill for the amount used on the meter they merely charge my account for the amount of the bill. I am never in credit or debit.

Personally I have always been against direct debit but I signed up because I am often away for months at a time so I don't receive the bill and, while they haven't done it, they can charge interest on overdue payments (I think they reserve that for constant late payers)
You obviously have a completely different system in Australia
In the UK they divide the cost, of your annual expected usage, by 12 and take the same amount each month. Most people find it easier to budget this way, rather than have to pay much higher bills in the winter.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top