Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Re: Finger Nails

I go to a salon once a fortnight-ish
My hands and nails get battered at work and this is the only way I know that keeps them looking good.
I have a pale pink or a French manicure polish

I swear by hemp hand cream from Body Shop because it acts like a barrier too
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 07:32 PM

I always keep my nails short and clean, I use nail clippers and and emery board. I used to let them grow longer and occasionally used a pale or clear nail polish but found one nail would break so I had to cut the rest of them short to match

I've never been to a nail salon.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 07:42 PM

Just a little growth, polish once in awhile if going somewhere.

But I do bright red toe nails when I live in sandals all summer.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 09:11 PM

I always had long nails and wore polish until about 18 months ago.
I noticed my usually strong nails were flaking and actually hurt.
I think it was something to do with the new types of nail varnish.
I have rarely worn any since then and keep my nails fairly short, no problems now but, I do miss having nice pretty nails.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 10:46 PM

Thanks for this thread because I just remembered I have to do something with my nails after gardening and cleaning this weekend.

I look after my nails once a week with a simple manicure and some Barry M "bubblegum". I used to use OPI but this one lasts all week and only needs one coat to look like you've made an effort.

Perhaps if I was retired I wouldn't bother but in a corporate environment women are expected to conform to contemporary stereotypes. Mind you so are men. They can't just come in with bedraggled hair, unshaven and wearing slippers and a vest & expect to be taken seriously. I'm sure some have a manicure too. So such is life, however superficial.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I always had long nails and wore polish until about 18 months ago.
I noticed my usually strong nails were flaking and actually hurt.
I think it was something to do with the new types of nail varnish.
I have rarely worn any since then and keep my nails fairly short, no problems now but, I do miss having nice pretty nails.
That's strange though,have you had a blood test? Just that you might not be getting enough vit D or something.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 07:29 AM

Actually Tessa I agree, I think the new gell polishes did for my nails too especially the Sally Hansen ones. I stopped using them.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 08:18 AM

I'm very wary about those gel polishes .. I just buy bog standard nail varnish, use a base of hard as nails and a top coat of the same

I'm not any good at nail art as I've no dexterity in my hands. Years ago I used to have foils which looked like nail art without the hassle. Can't find to buy them any more
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 09:28 AM

I have always been proud of my nails and always wear nail polish. Unfortunately following chemo two years ago they have not been the same, but I do still paint them. I also allow a few days with no polish, just buff them. When putting on polish, I apply a coat of nail hardener, then two coats of polish, followed by a clear gel. This way I find they usually last a couple of weeks.

I do however always wear rubber gloves when using cleaning products, because I suffer from eczema.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I usually have beautiful nails, but today I snapped one clean off

Always my own nails, I only had 1 false nail (acrylic??) put on once as an emergency, and hated the condition it left my real nail in

Right now my nails are a lovely navy blue but now Ive broken one, that colour will come off and Ive a pearly brownish pink to go on tomorrow

In work my hands are protected with gloves and marigolds which is why I think my nails are doing so well at the moment.
I also got the acrylic done....and what a mistake that was. They have never been the same. They chip and break so easy. My nails are ruined. It has been two years and the nails are still in bad condition.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top