Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 04:15 PM

Re: The Multi Million Pound Speeding Business

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I don't have cruise control, and even the cars I have had that did have it, Id never use it

Totally impractical on single lane country roads
Yes, I suspect that it could well prove useful on many continental roads and those in places like the US.

Unfortunately, our roads - in fact our entire transport infrastructure - is a complete mess.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Firstly, in fairness, the course was interesting and quite lighthearted rather than dictatorial.
If you think that through though JBR the reason becomes obvious. Remember these are PRIVATE businesses operating courses for which they charge you the princely sum of £90.

If they delivered the courses in a dictatorial or unpleasant fashion then people simply wouldn't opt for them and then it's Game Over for them.

So actually we would 100% expect that they will be welcoming and unpatronising and friendly. After all, they don't give a flying **** whether we drive good or bad, they just want the £90 bums on seats. It's a business so like all businesses you make the customer feel happy and welcome.

Like I said though they are on very limited time. As soon as the insurance companies start factoring NSACs into their systems and premiums go up, then there's no point at all going on an NSAC.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Another annoyance is the many examples I have seen on motorways and elsewhere, where sudden speed limits are imposed for no apparent reason - no road works, for example. Suddenly, driving along at 70 mph, mandatory 50 mph signs appear on an overhead gantry. Why? Are they testing our observational skills? It's the same with bus lanes which suddenly appear and disappear. Money-raising tactics, surely.
It's more for traffic control. Where I live the motorway is permanently set to 60mph in the morning and evening rush hour periods. The cameras on the side of the gantries are constantly flashing and catching people who don't know about those new cameras which are laser devices covering all 4 lanes.

There ARE many a tidy penny out of it all though.

If enough people protested and complained and insisted that moneies raised HAD to go to good causes, then they'd stop bothering with the whole scheme altogether.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 05:13 PM

All these 'traffic calming' methods.

Haven't they missed something, though? Long queues of stationary traffic...

belching out exhaust gases, polluting the atmosphere, fuel being burnt without any purpose.

Why aren't the Greenies and eco-warriors complaining?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 05:13 PM

I don't have cruise control, and even the cars I have had that did have it, Id never use it

Great on motorways though, particularly when there's a speed restriction with cameras.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Great on motorways though, particularly when there's a speed restriction with cameras.
I've never used it, to be honest, as I said earlier. However, after you have to slow down (or stop), when you restart does it resume the set speed?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 07:41 PM

no chance of me being caught, coz I'm Miss Goody Two Shoes and never speed. Speed scares me so the 30mph limit suit me.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 08:20 PM

I do have cruise control and do use it to keep to the speed limit. But quite a few roads around here have been changed tp 20mph and the cruise control min setting is 25mph. That's a second gear crawl.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 08:22 PM

I've never used it, to be honest, as I said earlier. However, after you have to slow down (or stop), when you restart does it resume the set speed?
Yes it does, but usually you have to press the resume button on the steering wheel, although adaptive cruise does it automatically
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-07-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes it does, but usually you have to press the resume button on the steering wheel, although adaptive cruise does it automatically
Thanks. I might look into that, though I still think it's probably not worth bothering with.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top