Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:33 PM

Re: service and MOT

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
mine is going back to Nissan main dealer for this to be done where i got the car from. Apparently needs doing every 2 years
Nope - another myth.
A leak free system will be ok for many years. These places just don't leak test and cure the leaks properly.
I think Longdogs has been fine for 8-9 years?

I'll get the latest cost on the refrigerant for you tomorrow to make sure they don't rip you on that either. I'll call our supplier.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:50 PM

mine is going back to Nissan main dealer for this to be done where I got the car from. Apparently needs doing every 2 years. It now has R1234yf gas not the earlier stuff

Link worth a look at

https://www.autodata-group.com/uk/ne...s-greener-gas/

It was the main dealer of my Fiat that mucked mine up!

I ask again Bazza, was yours blowing cold or warm before it went in for the service?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Nope - another myth.
A leak free system will be ok for many years. These places just don't leak test and cure the leaks properly.
I think Longdogs has been fine for 8-9 years?

I'll get the latest cost on the refrigerant for you tomorrow to make sure they don't rip you on that either. I'll call our supplier.
Well remembered fender, actually it was twelve years in the end. Never had it re-gassed and never had the car serviced either apart from the odd oil change and a few minor repairs.

The A/C was just as good the day I p/exd it as when I bought it 6 months old and I had it on constantly summer or winter.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 05:05 PM

The new refrigerant gas is expensive and more prone to leaking...apparently
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The new refrigerant gas is expensive and more prone to leaking...apparently
Makes you wonder why they changed it doesn't it.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Makes you wonder why they changed it doesn't it.
I think it is kinder to the environment, although if it leaks more than the other stuff, ??
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 06:15 PM

It doesn't leak any worse than the previous.
It's now used as the gwp is hugely less than R134a.

If it's any use to Realspeed, I called our suppliers today.
Our trade price is £75 per kg.
Average charge in a car is around 500g, so net cost of a fresh charge £37.50. They will pay around the same, but obviously mark this cost up. Just depends how much they try to mark it up by. Halfords double it for example!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 06:26 PM

Fender You have been mislead or quoted wrongly or a little out of date with the latest

I did say Halfords and many others DO NOT DO IT for R1234yf (HFO-1234yf) Gas . I think you will find not many places do infact hardly any do due to equipment costs

If I were you I would go back and ask how much they charge for a gas drain down and refill with the R1234YF type gas, not how much they sell it for.

R134a will ruin my aircon system which you are talking about. That is for cars pre 2011 any built after that have the new gas or should have.

list

Air Conditioning Gas Changes
Image for Air Conditioning Gas Changes article
Share this:
As of 2017, a new type of air conditioning gas is required by law for all new vehicles.

The gas, called HFO-1234yf, replaces previous refrigerants, as it produces 98% fewer climate-damaging pollutants than its predecessor, R134a. Regrettably, Halfords Autocentres does not stock the new gas, and therefore is unable to re-gas vehicles that require it.

Some manufacturers made the switch a few years ago, and already require the latest gas when serviced. Below is a full list of makes and models (manufactured from 2013 onwards) not suitable for the Air Con Service at Halfords Autocentres:

Alfa Romeo 4 C
Audi A1 / A3 / A4 / A5 / A6 / A7 - Also applies to S & RS variants (2014>)
Audi Q3 / Q5 / Q7 - Also applies to S & RS variants (2014>)
BMW i3
Chevrolet Spark (2014)
Chevrolet Trax
Chrysler 300 (2014)
Citroen C4 Cactus
Citroen C4 Picasso
Ferrari F150
Fiat 500x (10/14)
Fisker Karma
Hyundai i10
Hyundai i20
Hyundai i30
Hyundai Santa Fe
Infiniti Q50
Jaguar XK X150
Jaguar F-Pace (2016)
Jaguar F-Type (2016)
Jaguar XE (2016)
Jaguar XF (2016)
Jaguar XJ (2016)
Jaguar XJL (2016)
Jeep Cherokee (2014)
Jeep Renegade
Kia Carens
Kia Cee'd
Kia Optima
Kai Soul
Kia Sorento
Land Rover Discovery Sport (2015)
Lexus GS250
Lexus GS450h
Lexus NX300h
Lexus RC F
Lotus Elise
Lotus Exige S
Maserati Quattroporte
Mazda CX3 (MY17)
MG 3
Mitsubishi Mirage
Nissan Note
Nissan Pulsar
Nissan Qashqai
Nissan X-Trail
Peugeot 308
Range Rover Evoque L538 (2013)
Range Rover L405 (2014)
Range Rover Sport (2014)
Renault Twingo
Renault Zoe
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza
Subaru BRZ
Suzuki Celerio
Suzuki SX4
Tesla Model S
Toyota GT86
Toyota Prius Plus
VW Golf GTI 2016
VW Jetta 2016
VW Passat 2016
VW Polo 2016
VW Scirocco 2016
VW Sharan/Tiguan/Touran 2016
VW Up 2016
In addition to all vehicles manufactured after 1st January 2017.

link worth reading

http://www.ac4cars.co.uk/r1234yf.html cost

costs

https://www.maes-group.co.uk/air-con...-conditioning/
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

29-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Fender You have been mislead or quoted wrongly

I did say Halfords and many others DO NOT DO IT for R1234yf (HFO-1234yf) Gas . I think you will find not many places do infact hardly any do due to equipment costs

If I were you I would go back and ask how much they charge for a gas drain down and refill with the R1234YF type gas, not how much they sell it for.

R134a will ruin my aircon system which you are talking about. That is for cars pre 2011 any built after that have the new gas or should have.
Firstly,

Where did I say to put R134a in your car? - it's actually illegal to retrofit a system designed for R1234yf back to R134a.
I don't need your list, I know what it affects!..
My trade is hvac and M&E - I spent many years working on automotive and aircraft a/c.

Secondly,

Halfords are now considering stocking it, and I'm reliably informed they'll probably double the net cost of the refrigerant.

Thirdly,

I'm trying to help you here and stop you being potentially overcharged for work, and to advise on getting it done properly. I took the time to call my suppliers today on refrigerant costs, so you could have an idea if you're being ripped off or not.

If you don't want any advice / help, just say so!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 07:26 PM

Fender
No offence meant

quote " Our trade price is £75 per kg.
Average charge in a car is around 500g, so net cost of a fresh charge £37.50."
unquote

that is no where near the price for My Nissan Xtrail to be replenished using the latest R1234yf type gas. The cost is nearer £200 and that is a fairly low price from looking at what others charge.That is a complete drain - overhaul -pressure check any parts replaced and dye and recharge

I don't know where your £37.50 price comes from. Are you sure you are looking at the right gas and servicing prices??????

The second link I posted was nearer £250. Even that was a job to find another garage that can do it

Apart from that also the technician has had to pass the qualifications below in link before being allowed to do the job
working with the new gas

http://awarding.theimi.org.uk/Qualif...nce-EC842-2006

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top