Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Hedgehogs

I'm well chuffed. I was outside about half an hour in the back garden and HUGE hedgehog was shuffling off at the side of the pond. Me going out cued the outside light to come on and startled it no doubt.

I had h/hogs shuffling around in the garden at my last house, even mating one time in the bush, gawd that startled me a bit with their noise.

The last time I saw one here, was at least 3 yrs ago. And, I've no idea how it got in the garden. Fenced on all sides. That was huge too.

Whoppeee!!! Hope it hibernates nicely in my garden.

Have you seen any in your garden recently?

Edited to add, this was one of those times, I really wish I had a camera
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:01 PM

Re: Hedgehogs

No but I love hedgehogs. They are so darn cute. We get a lot of gophers and some rabbits , raccoons, wild turkeys and the odd possum.
Maybe it burrowed it’s way UNDER the fence. After all, they are burrowers.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
No but I love hedgehogs. They are so darn cute. We get a lot of gophers and some rabbits , raccoons, wild turkeys and the odd possum.
Maybe it burrowed it’s way UNDER the fence. After all, they are burrowers.
Bratti - Gophers, I really didn't know gophers were animals, I had to Google

I only know the word 'gopher' as being a silly slogan that we get over here - ie companies calling themselves 'Gophers' meaning 'go for this', 'go for that...'. Boy am I thick

The last time I had one, I couldn't work out how it got in then. I couldn't see where it could be burrowing under the fence boundaries, there's no room underneath and there's no broken ones. The gap under the panels on the path side only take my finger size. No way could a large h/hog get underneath that
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Not thick at all. Not all animals are world wide so how would you know.
They don’t have raccoons in Newfoundland Canada but they do everywhere else in Canada.

Here’s a gopher.

Hedgehogs can dig up to 20 inches deep.
I’m not sure how it got in either which is why I’d think it dug it’s way in. but I don’t know.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	43773A94-3723-4CFC-A442-DD2C93134603.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	7241  
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-09-2018, 10:53 PM

Wow, those teeth look sharp. Looks cute tho'
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

11-09-2018, 10:59 PM

I know
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 12:50 AM

@ Pesta.. if he's beside your pond, can you make sure that if he falls in that he has a way to climb out again. I have heard of two being found drowned in ponds this summer. Obviously they would have been looking for water with it being so hot , and although they can swim a little, they do not always have the ability to get out of ponds.

There's a website which is widely used called Hedgehog Street. I can't copy and paste at the moment for some reason, but it gives quite a lot of useful information.

I have had 4 all summer, just outside the back door. A very big one a middle sized one and two smaller ones, so I assume it might be one family. I still put clean water out and food each night.
They are not eating as much of the food since the weather changed and the ground softened up for worms and slugs. I have also got a hedgehog house , but think it's not in the right place, and time is running out to find a better place.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Hi Pesta,I had two mating in the garden,last year,and yes,they sure make a noise,.they were in every night,I haven't seen them this year,although I have seen hog poo in garden,only once,but I did see two this year,outside some flats,very early morning,..I have a hog house,but as far as I know,they haven't hibernated in it last year,I am going to move it,to the very bottom of garden,when I feel up to it,not sure what month they hibernate ?.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 09:31 AM

I love to see our hedgehogs bustling about, but sadly, can't remember when I last saw a live one now.
You were lucky to see your little night time visitor Pesta.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 03:23 PM

We do get them in the garden, but in the last few months there have been 7 now 8, saw one this afternoon, in our road alone, killed by cars & another on an ajoining road. The drivers of the cars drive much too fast down & up our road, very few actually stick to the 30 mph limit & it makes me so mad when I sit in the front porch & watch them speeding passed.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top