Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:53 PM

Re: What to put in a planter.

I leave my wallflowers and Sweet Williams in all year, they flower just as well year after year.
Good advice from Meg about drainage Mr. Fraggle!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:02 PM

If that was mine I would plant Chillies in it. I had some that for several years survived the winter but last winter killed them off. I might use a polystyrene fruit box this year.

I have just planted the seeds for this year in a seed box - that's what I call my old floppy disk boxes
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If that was mine I would plant Chillies in it. I had some that for several years survived the winter but last winter killed them off. I might use a polystyrene fruit box this year.

I have just planted the seeds for this year in a seed box - that's what I call my old floppy disk boxes
Sorry, Chillies can you link to an example?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Sorry, Chillies can you link to an example?
I don't have many photos but here are a couple:

This variety starts off green and you can pick them like that.

...or you can wait until they are red. They all come in bulk so some I dry and the rest I pickle.

If they survive the winter (I doubt they will in the UK) then they develop into a nice productive shrub.

I just buy Chillies from the supermarket use them for cooking but save dry and the seeds for planting as spring approaches.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilli Plants 002.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	7688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chillies 001.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	7689   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-05-24 Chillies 025.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	7690  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Mr Fraggle it's getting a bit late for planting spring flowering things now .
My wallflowers have been in for weeks and they may be difficult to find for sale now.

You may still be able to buy Pansies, Violas, Primulas and some spring bulbs to plant a display. You can buy these in some supermarkets or places like B&Q

To plant a more permanent display I would wait for the spring .
You will need some drainage holes if you are planting directly into the trough and some drainage material like large pebbles or broken crocks then a good compost on top.

I agree with Meg.

You could probably still get some Primroses or winter pansies in, which will bring early colour, but then I would wait until next spring to change things around.

You don't say how deep the trough is Mr. F? I am thinking you don't want long tap roots or deep rooting plants if it is not very deep.

Also, because the roots can't escape and find food for themselves, don't forget you will need to keep feeding whatever you plant.

Here is an interesting link by Alan Titchmarsh that might give you some ideas.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ant-containers
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't have many photos but here are a couple:

This variety starts off green and you can pick them like that.

...or you can wait until they are red. They all come in bulk so some I dry and the rest I pickle.

If they survive the winter (I doubt they will in the UK) then they develop into a nice productive shrub.

I just buy Chillies from the supermarket use them for cooking but save dry and the seeds for planting as spring approaches.
so it was that type of Chillie, no good to me as it has been 10 years since I ate solid food and that is never going to change, so a waste for me. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with Meg.

You could probably still get some Primroses or winter pansies in, which will bring early colour, but then I would wait until next spring to change things around.

You don't say how deep the trough is Mr. F? I am thinking you don't want long tap roots or deep rooting plants if it is not very deep.

Also, because the roots can't escape and find food for themselves, don't forget you will need to keep feeding whatever you plant.

Here is an interesting link by Alan Titchmarsh that might give you some ideas.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ant-containers
Not looking to do any planting this year just looking for plants that will attract bees add a bit of colour and be easy to look after though I have no problem with feeding them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 04:40 PM

I think here we normally grow chillies in a greenhouse or on a window sill. they dont like our winters.
CandyCrunch
USA
CandyCrunch is female  CandyCrunch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 04:51 PM

I know that bees love lavender.

https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/07/lavender-bees-html/
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

24-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by CandyCrunch ->
I know that bees love lavender.

https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/07/lavender-bees-html/
I have had lavender mention elsewhere so definitely on the list, thanks.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 10:14 AM

I plant my Chilli around the end Jun as I do with my Cucumbers Qs are finished but Chills are still going strong

I Start picking them the end of September.

They tend to last even after heavy frosts till the end of December.

I have had a number of Very Very( 4) early frosts on my Southern Allotment that have not affected them so far.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top