Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 12:55 PM

m

Storm in a tree cut.
Let me rephrase that to Storm over a tree cut.

A fully grown cherry tree in full bloom in the spring & early summer is a joy to behold.

We have one about 12 years old on the east lawn in the grounds of our retirement home.

The tree was pruned 2 years ago, and loved it, putting on about 2 metres growth in every direction.
This last year has seen an equally vigorous growth,
Unfortunately for me and nurse Gillian the tree’s branches are nearing our flat windows & blocking our view of the communal gardens.
There are 36 flats in the building & the owners are split into 3 camps.
- Fell it
-Over my dead body
-Continue pruning, hard.

Feelings are running high you may have guessed I am all for destroying it & to replace it with a smaller variety.

I have solicited quotes from tree surgeons for the various options, but I suspect even the most vocal residents will pale at the cost of the work.

To complicate matters, the tree almost certainly has a preservation order upon it, after a disturbance when the tree that preceded the cherry, a 100 ft Chilean Pine was damaged by the developers, causing its demise.

Hey Ho
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Re: m

We have a hundred year old oak out the back blocks the sun in the summer makes a mess now, but I wouldn't hesitate to chain myself to it if it was threatened again. shortly after we first moved in 1989 I and another neighbour had to do it, I was younger then and we sat in the tree for several days. I'd have to chain myself to the trunk now my tree climbing days are behind me.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:12 PM

Good luck with your tree. My husband and I are always cutting trees down but they are all much older than 12 years.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:30 PM

I very much doubt a 12 year old cherry tree would have a preservation order on it. It should be OK to cut it down and plant something less vigorous. No need for a tree surgeon.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:38 PM

I have a cherry tree in my garden, it is dead .
I got sick of cherry stones breaking the mower and the magpies squabbling over the unpleasant tasting cherries so I cut it back and it died.

I prefer it dead, it has a sculptural appearance and the birds like it
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Woman after my own heart there meg, I love a dead tree they are so full of character and dignity.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:52 PM

I agree that it woild be very surprising if a 12 year old ornamental tree has any sort of preservation order on it, but whose holds the final decision on it's fate, the residents' committee?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I agree that it woild be very surprising if a 12 year old ornamental tree has any sort of preservation order on it, but whose holds the final decision on it's fate, the residents' committee?
Excellent responses all.
Barry, the tree is protected by the lease covenant, the residents' committee is unregulated & has no constitution, most of my neighbours don't know their Asimina from their
Echinops.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 04:17 PM

I'm guessing around £1000,00 to fell it but that's not bad divided by 36. I think it is a shame that people plant trees in areas where they will eventually grow too big and have to be cut down. People should take more care when planting a tree.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

21-11-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm guessing around £1000,00 to fell it but that's not bad divided by 36. I think it is a shame that people plant trees in areas where they will eventually grow too big and have to be cut down. People should take more care when planting a tree.
exactly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top