Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:58 PM

Re: internet connection

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Just last week I was helping a friend set up his desktop for a new fibre connection via a wireless router (previously he had a 4G connection).

His computer used a USB wifi dongle and was running Windows XP, it was more a test of (my) memory than anything else.

I have a laptop still running XP and to be honest its my preferred OS

Mind I now use Apple and have done for a few years now and find im really struggling when helping mum with windows 10 and before that 7
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

With a shop bought one you don't know what is in it, usually the cheapest bits unreplaceable.

easier to replace a wi- fi adaptor if plugged into a USB port which is what I did the other day
I haven't found that to be true any more - building your own might be marginally cheaper but not enough to make it worthwhile (hence the demise of most computer fairs).

Personally I buy direct from Lenovo where every major component is chosen and is interchangeable and where they have 'deals' too. This applies to desktops and laptops and all the major brands.

The major advantage of desktops apart from more bang per buck is that there are plenty of PCI slots for components like wifi cards - why waste a USB slot? My current desktop has 8 USB at the rear (all used) and two at the front so I can't afford to waste any. Actually mine doesn't have wifi as I have wired outlets in each room.

If I was in your situation I would buy a suitable computer as above then buy a graphics card separately and install that myself - I suspect that would be the most economic way and involve the least effort.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:39 PM

hence the demise of most computer fairs
Might be true in Oz but here computer fairs died out because they mainly sold the lowest denominator components for ridiculously high prices.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Might be true in Oz but here computer fairs died out because they mainly sold the lowest denominator components for ridiculously high prices.
Not here, they sold everything from motherboards to blank DVDs much cheaper than shop prices but as computer and parts prices have dived they have completely disappeared as far as I can see.

There used to be two really good companies running them in the Wollongong area each occurred about twice a month, then it went went down to one now there are none. They charged $2.50 to get in but you saved more than that just buying a 100 pack of blank DVDs (named brands)
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 01:14 PM

I concur. I also used to build PCs in the days before laptops hit the markets. It was fun and you picked and chose the best bits you could afford and which you needed.

Those days are long gone.

Most PCs/Laptops are now tweakable. Lift the back off and you can change memory chips, hard disks, wifi adapters (which plug in and out really easily) and so on.

When you buy you know exactly what's inside because it is all listed in the spec.

Like Bruce I wouldn't waste a USB port on a WiFi adapter. Just get a card to plug into one of the free internal slots.
A direct Ethernet connection to your router is preferable to WiFi if it is possible but logistically it's not suitable for many people.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 06:01 PM

You may know what is inside but not the quality like gold tipped contacts for example
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

18-12-2018, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You may know what is inside but not the quality like gold tipped contacts for example
Of course you do. If it is a $400 computer then it will have cheaper components than a $1000 one with the same specs.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 10:34 PM

My internet connection occasionaly drops, usually when I'm doing something, but I switch it off and on again, this normally will resolve the issue for weeks.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 12:21 AM

Of course you do. If it is a $400 computer then it will have cheaper components than a $1000 one with the same specs.
Unless it's an Apple $1000 computer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top