Join for free
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Dog owners beware

Although not having a dog myself I came across a news article where a dog ate a mince pie, the owner had to take him to the vet where he was given an injection to induce vomiting, apparently grapes, currants and raisins can be toxic to dogs, causing kidney failure , now I knew chocolate isn’t good for dogs ( except special doggie chocolate) but grapes? Just be careful what your dog eats,
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Re: Dog owners beware

Yes you are quite right Primus, and thanks for the reminder.
Raisins in Christmas cake and mince pies can damage a dog's kidneys.

No doubt most already owners know this, but maybe play safe and make sure the grandkids do too, as some little ones like to 'share' with their four-legged friend.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 02:57 PM

Yes not something dogs should be eating at all. I'm not even sure with all the lovely veggies etc around why anyone would feed them to their dogs, much better a nice crunchy carrot or roast sweet potato for our sweet toothed friends.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Although not having a dog myself I came across a news article where a dog ate a mince pie, the owner had to take him to the vet where he was given an injection to induce vomiting, apparently grapes, currants and raisins can be toxic to dogs, causing kidney failure , now I knew chocolate isn’t good for dogs ( except special doggie chocolate) but grapes? Just be careful what your dog eats,
Yes, it is sometimes surprising what can be harmful for dogs.
When we want to try something new on ours we check...
"Can dogs eat rhubarb?" for example. The slightest hint of any negativity and it's off the menu.

Ours gets a carrot every day. Few calories and it helps clean his teeth.

Thank you for the warning.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 05:25 PM

I don't like mince pies, all them dead flies in 'em, so Dolly is safe.
I had a border collie cross once that used to dig leeks up out of the garden and eat them, I don't think they're good for them, she had dreadful flatulence!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 05:47 PM

I don't give my dog human food except for chicken. Lots of human food is toxic to dogs so i.d rather not give him it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 09:40 PM

I have emails from Pinterest and very often get charts coming up, what they can and cannot eat, so it’s good for reference.

I too hate mince pies.

Holly always knows when I’m chopping carrots and is there, waiting. I give her a tiny chunk, and she comes back for more.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 09:41 PM

Also dangerous to cats.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top