Join for free
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Re: No-deal Brexit impacts

Originally Posted by Tonyposts ->
Thanks for the reply Meg, I appreciate you looking at the report. The point that disclaimer is making though is that while it is hard to make an absolute forecast of economic growth (as no-one knows what else in the world will hit or help our economy over the coming years), the report looks at the relative impacts of the economy under different scenarios. So it is quite valid to compare a future "no-deal Brexit" scenario with a future "staying in the EU" scenario.

Of course the analysis can't be exact, but it does quote the range of other independent studies and the uncertainty ranges in the modelling. In all cases the basic message of big economic damage from a no-deal Brexit comes through clearly.

Sadly, the option of "waiting and seeing" won't help. If we stay in the EU, we can get our existing rebates and opt-outs continuing. If we leave, we need all countries in the EU to agree new terms (including Spain, who may choose to use Gibraltar as a bargaining chip). If we leave there is no quick or easy way to rebuild what we would have lost.

On a more filosofical note, for the sake of argument. Let's assume everyone on this forum reads the report and is frightened sh*tless. Everyone here wants to stop brexit.
What do you propose we do as a constructive contribution to the nation's future?
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
On a more filosofical note, for the sake of argument. Let's assume everyone on this forum reads the report and is frightened sh*tless. Everyone here wants to stop brexit.
What do you propose we do as a constructive contribution to the nation's future?
I propose we continue as we are.

No account was made, in the opening post, for increasing trade with the rest of the world and the positive impact that would have on our GDP
Tonyposts
New Member!
United Kingdom
Tonyposts is male 

04-01-2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I wonder whether it might be a good idea to create a special section of this web site to accommodate Project Fear?

Avoiding a specific section would be far easier than scrolling past tedious posts by the usual suspects.
Could you help me understand what you mean by Project Fear please JBR?

I'm deliberately trying to look at independent forecasts rather than any sponsored by politicians or newspapers. The government report was provided by economists in the Civil Service whose professional reputations rely on using evidence-based analysis and not being influenced by political spin. I've looked at reports from other organisations as well (e.g. Oxford Economics) which give a similar picture.

I really don't understand what the "Project Fear" tag is meant to signify - is it implying that all these independent organisations are part of some secret conspiracy, or what?
Tonyposts
New Member!
United Kingdom
Tonyposts is male 

04-01-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I propose we continue as we are.

No account was made, in the opening post, for increasing trade with the rest of the world and the positive impact that would have on our GDP
Actually Moscow it does, page 22 of the report sets out the assumptions made on new trade deals. The analysis assumes that the UK strikes free trade agreements with the US, China, India, Australia and 14 other countries. It also assumes that the UK can strike deals with anyone who currently has an agreement with the EU on similar terms. I think these are quite bold assumptions and would take many years to do, but the report is trying to focus on long-term impacts.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 10:51 PM

Well, well the gang's all here tonight.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Here I sit all warm and cosy knowing that whatever happens, I wasn't to blame
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Well, well the gang's all here tonight.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 11:04 PM

And meanwhile the Dutch have a rethink https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ean-Sea-latest
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 11:18 PM

And meanwhile the Dutch have a rethink https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ean-Sea-latest
As predicted, the EU countries are beginning to fall out!

Some have suggested that the EU will fall apart within ten years. Could be even sooner.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 11:51 PM

Well this is the situation for the UK after brexit. The dutch vessel picked up refugees afloat in the mediterranean. The intention was to debark them in italy. Italy refused the boat entry of port. So did spain and later on so did france.
Now the dutch vessel has to return to its dutch port of origin. It still has the refugees aboard, so they come to the netherlands. Which than is the country of entry, so the netherlands have to give shelter to refugees that were on their way to italy. I don't mind to give them that shelter. The government is apparently worried about precedents, and money. That is an administrative matter for brussels.

If a british vessel picks up refugees in the english channel, they bring them to the british port. Based on a bilateral agreement the UK sends them to france, and france sends them on to the country where they entered the EU. France can do that since they are in schengen, whereas britain opted out.
After brexit refugees picked up by british vessels cannot be send to france. The agreement between two EU countries (france and UK) is void. Refugees brought to france by the UK would enter the EU in france, and schengen says that france has to give shelter. France can no longer send them on.
So refugees picked up in the channel by british vessels will remain in the UK. Do you have facilities to house, feed and tend them?

Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top