Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Re: Waiting times

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Glad you X-Ray went well for you Floydy.

Hope you haven't got any serious problems.
Thanks Susie.
Let's hope not. I hope they find the cause of it otherwise I'll be back at square one, but on the other hand I hope there's nothing serious to worry about.
I'll find out in about 10 days time.

As you know I keep myself very fit and healthy and have a good diet. I can only assume that it's outside sources such as traffic smog or dust from work that is affecting me. We'll see, hopefully.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Another issue, which is deemed as some kind of unspeakable no-go area is the rise of the migrant and immigrant population wanting to see a doctor. Those of us who were born in the UK, paid our taxes and our National Insurance are placed as 'low priority' in favour of these people who will no doubt claim human rights if they are not looked after.
If we are to accept as a society that we wish to look after migrants, refugees and asylum seekers then really by definition that must include a level of health care.

Imagine a desperate woman turning up on the shores of the country who had been tortured and subjected to female genital mutilation and seeking asylum.

It would be utterly ludicrous (not to mention immoral) to say "hi, yes welcome, come in, you're in safe hands now" but to deny them any health care.

In terms of illegal immigrants who have found their way here, well that is an issue for border/immigration control and related authorities. We can't expect the NHS to shoulder the job of sifting the genuine immigrants from the non-genuine.
Nevertheless, to gain free treatment a person has to be "ordinarily resident" and be able to provide appropriate documentation to prove that as I understand it.

I'm interested in your claim there that UK nationals are being categorised as "low priority" by the NHS vs immigrants. It suggests some form of discrimination.
Are you sure that this is factual or is it more of a feeling?
If factual can you provide any NHS source reference which highlights this low priority categorisation of UK Nationals, it would be useful to see and read?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 04:53 PM

That's right mate and our pathetic government (whoever is in power) will always look after outsiders before their own people.

It went great today by the way. parked up at the hospital (of my choice, and free parking too), waited five minutes. Quick x-ray. Done. Back home again less than 45 minutes after I set off.
If only everything in life could run that smoothly!
That's good Floydy. That's how it should be. It is stressful enough having a medical problem without any added problems.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Sixteen weeks to get my cataracts operation, We will probably be moved by then and have to start the whole process again............
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:39 PM

That's right mate and our pathetic government (whoever is in power) will always look after outsiders before their own people.

It went great today by the way. parked up at the hospital (of my choice, and free parking too), waited five minutes. Quick x-ray. Done. Back home again less than 45 minutes after I set off.
If only everything in life could run that smoothly!
Where on earth did you find a hospital with free parking?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I'm lucky because two years ago, I left my Surgery and went to another one, who is just one Indian Doctor, 1 Nurse, and 2 Receptionist and can get an appointment on the same day. The Surgery that I left neighbours here tell me they are still waiting for an appointment to see a Doctor after 3 weeks.
I, too, have been seen recently by doctors who are non-white and with whom I have been very impressed.

A male doctor of Indian/Pakistani extraction (I really don't know which because I wouldn't dream of asking them) who, although not the most welcoming, conducted his examination with care and understanding and demonstrated his knowledge and ability.

Another, younger, male doctor (as above) who was also very efficient and able and, incidentally, had a rather nicer manner about him.

A young lady of West Indian appearance (again, I don't ask), who was very helpful indeed and took the greatest interest and put me at my ease.

And finally, a very pretty young Indian lady (of that I am sure) who, as soon as I walked in was fully aware of my circumstances and arranged for my hospital attendance the next day and, in addition, took pains to arrange for me to have my own choice of hospital. She even smiled at me at the end!

So, now let those ill-informed critics (we all know who they are) accuse me of racism!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Hopsitals, GP surgeries, even trying to book an appointment. The time we are having to wait to get seen by a doctor is becoming an impossible task.

I have been waiting for an ENT appointment since last June, and that's only for an initial consultation. In the meantime, the particular health complaint which has caused my referral has become much worse. It has been postponed, cancelled, re-submitted and put back through various phone calls and enquiries from myself and or/my doctor.

Also, you cannot even get through on the phone anymore to book a GP appointment. You are "Number 10 in a queue" and you wait an age listening to bland eloevator music and interjections from some recorded voice about help with dementia and so on. It's now ridiculous.

I understand the NHS is in a terribly fragile state through lack of money, shortages of equipment and expertise recruiting new staff. I understand too that there are many people who cancel appointments without telling the surgery and that is simply not on.

Another issue, which is deemed as some kind of unspeakable no-go area is the rise of the migrant and immigrant population wanting to see a doctor. Those of us who were born in the UK, paid our taxes and our National Insurance are placed as 'low priority' in favour of these people who will no doubt claim human rights if they are not looked after. It's all wrong and needs to change. Or is that taboo and a closed subject?

Thoughts?
I'm sorry for your health related beaurocratic woes, but it couldn't be any different here. Maybe it's because I have more serious health problems but I've found them to be excellent.

When I get a new appointment, I get an email re-directing me to a site where I can download the letter. Also, they have a new computer system where everything is collated and added about your health condition so if I, say, phone up a McMillan Nurse he/she can access all my health data both past and upcoming.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The main NHS issue is a massive recruitment problem. Funnily enough the NHS relies on migrants - to staff it! It doesn't matter how much money they throw at the system if they cannot sort that problem. They advertise abroad because nobody wants to enter or stay in the service here. Plus constant tinkering with it by different politicians means that staff have no job security. Many just leave after they have had enough.

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention GPs are retiring early and nurses are quitting because of the pressure. They are under terrible stress because they are having to cover or do the jobs of two or three people. The nursing bursary has gone which has made the situation tons worse.

Most people who come here are working and paying taxes. Speaking a foreign language or having a different skin colour does not equal unpaid taxes and NIC.
My GP has admitted to me that she intends to retire(she is early 50s) once she has sorted out her various pensions. I wouldn't like to work in a GP office but mine has been stellar It helps living only 10 minutes away from the GP because quite often they'll say, "Can you come right now? if I need an emergency appointment."
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-01-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
If we are to accept as a society that we wish to look after migrants, refugees and asylum seekers then really by definition that must include a level of health care.

Imagine a desperate woman turning up on the shores of the country who had been tortured and subjected to female genital mutilation and seeking asylum.
I think it's important to remember that there are some genuine refugees who come here, many of whom (as has been mentioned before) are vetted in Syria (and presumably elsewhere) before being allowed to enter the UK legally.

If women as you describe arrive here in that state they should, of course, be looked after and if genuine refugees should be considered for legal admission.

However, I haven't seen any reports of any women, injured or not, arriving on rubber dinghies across the Channel.

I suppose some would argue that that is purely coincidental!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Where on earth did you find a hospital with free parking?
Beverley in East Yorkshire mate. Nice new hospital and free parking for everyone. It's quite an affluent town and the council appear to control it very well.
I had to travel about five miles. Easy

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top