Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 08:19 PM

Caught at last

Past my driving test nearly 60 years ago.

Never had a ticket never had an accident.

Just been done for doing 37 miles an hour in a 30 mile zone.

So 3 points and fine to come
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Re: Caught at last

That's a shame galty but good going.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 08:21 PM

That's bad luck after all those years driving, Galty
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Past my driving test nearly 60 years ago.

Never had a ticket never had an accident.

Just been done for doing 37 miles an hour in a 30 mile zone.

So 3 points and fine to come
No chance at all you'll get a fine Galty.

You will be offered a Speed Awareness Course which will cost you about £90.

Accept and it won't be reported to the police and you don't have to report it to your insurance either.

The course will last about 4 hrs and will be light hearted but essentially a load of carp. You just have to sit through it and play along.

There is a huge push at the moment to generate £millions from this whole speeding scam. They have no real interest in stopping you speeding. They just want millions of people paying £90 a crack.

Last year there were well over a million people on these courses in the UK. That's some £100 million going to these gits. About a 3rd of it goes to the police. The rest is for the private companies operating this whole scam.

You will find that its hard to get on a course any time soon. The private companies keep sending out the detector camera vans to catch a steady stream of people in easy target locations. It's usual to get a course 2-3 weeks in the future.

The whole thing stinks but it is what it is. Abuse of authority to generate £millions because the police funding has been cut so much.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 08:58 PM

Do the speed awareness course, great fun, its not a load of crap at all and you learn loads, lordruthio's done it twice
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Do the speed awareness course, great fun, its not a load of crap at all and you learn loads, lordruthio's done it twice
You learn the speed limits on various roads (which we should all now anyway!)

You learn to spot dangers and hazards (which again we should already know)

You learn about the physical effects of impacts at 30mph and other speeds.

It is, quite naturally, presented in a fun and un-patronising way, ostensibly because at the end of the day it is a BIG BUSINESS earning £millions. They want customers and if people came away from their courses saying they were boring and patronising then word would get round and people wouldn't opt to go on them.

At the end of the day a speeding fine and the cost of a Speed Awareness Course are pretty similar. Some are too proud to be treated like a naughty child and readily just take the fine and points. It would mostly depend on whether you already had points on your license and how affluent you are.

These people are largely targeting roads with limits of 30mph and 40mph. These are easy money target areas. A great many of us are going to end up on these courses. They are relentless in their pursuit of the £millions they make.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You learn the speed limits on various roads (which we should all now anyway!)

You learn to spot dangers and hazards (which again we should already know)

You learn about the physical effects of impacts at 30mph and other speeds.

It is, quite naturally, presented in a fun and un-patronising way, ostensibly because at the end of the day it is a BIG BUSINESS earning £millions. They want customers and if people came away from their courses saying they were boring and patronising then word would get round and people wouldn't opt to go on them.

At the end of the day a speeding fine and the cost of a Speed Awareness Course are pretty similar. Some are too proud to be treated like a naughty child and readily just take the fine and points. It would mostly depend on whether you already had points on your license and how affluent you are.

These people are largely targeting roads with limits of 30mph and 40mph. These are easy money target areas. A great many of us are going to end up on these courses. They are relentless in their pursuit of the £millions they make.
Shame they're not as relentless at catching real crims eh?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:27 PM

I got caught doing that, I chose the awareness course. I really enjoyed it.
Quite a few years back now. I was only 3 miles over the limit!!!!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:40 PM

I got busted a couple of years ago for doing 38mph in a 30mph zone.....It had changed to thirty overnight.
I paid the fine and took the points....I don't generally speed and it will be unlikely that I'll get done again. Had I still worked on the road for a living I would have attended the course. now they can shove it........Bar stewards!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:41 PM

I was caught a couple of years ago. It was one of those where a 50 mph suddenly changes to 30 mph for no apparent reason and I missed the sign.

Of course, just after the sign (I checked later) is a speed camera.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top