Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:42 PM

Re: Caught at last

I have a speed camera alert on my satnav.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:45 PM

Realist you've obviously been on the course and fiund it boring, patronising etc., but not everyone finds this.

Why not let galty do the course and find out for himself?
He might enjoy it.
He could report back!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 10:18 PM

You may not be offered a course, it depends on what the criteria for the speed is some forces differ across the country, it’s usually 10% plus 2mph, over that you may have to take the points,
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Past my driving test nearly 60 years ago.

Never had a ticket never had an accident.

Just been done for doing 37 miles an hour in a 30 mile zone.

So 3 points and fine to come
You should have been deported to the colonies.

But hard luck mate.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Realist you've obviously been on the course and fiund it boring, patronising etc., but not everyone finds this.
Yes, was on one last Oct/Nov.

As I said earlier, they ARE presented as fun, un-patronising. It's a business. They would be out of business if the courses were otherwise.

Much of the material they present is highly questionable and manipulative. Unfortunately you can't argue the toss with them because the rules of the course are that you HAVE to comply and HAVE to participate and do so in a co-operative manner. If you don't, they don't give you a "tick in the box" at the end of the course and your case goes back down the normal route of fine and penalty points. In short, they have you by the balls.

But again, I concur that everything is presented in a fun and amicable way, as it must. There were slides put up (many actually) and everyone was given an electronic voting gizmo just like the audience on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" so they ask some quiz questions and let everyone anonymously press A, B, C or D on their keypads.

So, yes, most people will enjoy it and some of those will be essentially duped by those niceties and go home feeling pretty good.

As a realist I knew from start to finish that I was the victim of a multi-million pound scam business preying on people in easy target areas. £90 a pop. Nothing they showed me changed my opinion of things nor did it ease the annoyance of having £90 taken from me.

Not one minute of the proceedings changed my view on how I drive. Where I was caught was on a totally empty 30mph road at 7:00am in the morning. No pedestrians, no other cars, no cyclists. The van was waiting just over the brow of a steep incline, steep enough that 2nd gear was too loud and revvy and 3rd gear too much to remain under 30mph. Like I said, an easy target entrapment area.

I'm sure Galty will choose to attend a course. Its a no-brainer because you don't get points and crucially it means you don't get any conviction so nothing to declare to your insurance company.

That situation is likely to change in the future. The Admiral Group of insurance companies had last year started asking new customers if they had ever attended a Speed Awareness Course and if so treated it like a speeding fine and bumped up their premiums. I raised this with the course tutors who were aware of it and they said for now Admiral have agreed not to pursue that angle.

Essentially the insurance companies are not getting their share of these lucrative £millions. They are not in the loop. The money goes to the private entrapment firms and the police. So if no-one gives them a slice of the pie it's pretty certain imho that they will all start asking customers if they have been on courses. Once that happens there will be little incentive for anyone to attend a course. The only exception being those people who already have a high number of penalty points on their license and who don't want to get a ban.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 07:18 PM

I was not going to attend the course I was going to fight the case.

Reason None of those little stripes on the road.

Which I found odd and did inquire if they could estimate my speed

Then it dawned on me Camera was set up at a traffic light.

Do remember the light turned to Orange and I speed up and went through as it turned red

BUT they are doing me for speeding and not jumping the light.

So will not fight unless they don't offer me the course.

But did tell a mate of mine about it and the course and he stated ….they are really good I have been on a couple.

Thanks Realist feel much better after your post ...will accept the course as Im getting old to fight the Bastards these days
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 07:25 PM

Thanks Realist feel much better after your post ...will accept the course as Im getting old to fight the Bastards these days
It's a no-brainer as having a ticket means it has to be declared to insurers and they take them into account for 5 years.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 08:47 PM

It's no big deal to accept the fine and points, my insurance company just charged me £14.35 extra for my SP30...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 09:01 PM

I was not going to attend the course I was going to fight the case.

Reason None of those little stripes on the road.

Which I found odd and did inquire if they could estimate my speed

Then it dawned on me Camera was set up at a traffic light.

Do remember the light turned to Orange and I speed up and went through as it turned red

BUT they are doing me for speeding and not jumping the light.

So will not fight unless they don't offer me the course.

But did tell a mate of mine about it and the course and he stated ….they are really good I have been on a couple.

Never mind Galty it's only one day on the naughty step !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 09:33 PM

They are planning to go for zero tolerance on speed transgressions. So if you do 31 you will get a ticket. At the moment they tend to set the threshold at about 34.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top