Join for free
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:37 PM

Quid pro quo

Hi, and a belated Happy New Year to those who know me. All this chatter about EU benefit scroungers (i.e. the same old, same old, but still relevant argument). Does anyone have any idea of the number of UK nationals who have relocated to other EU countries and who have, for whatever reason, ended up having to rely upon their equivalent of social service benefits/payments in order to continue living there?

In short, if I moved to (eg) Spain, got a cleaning job and paid my taxes but then was laid off, would I be eligible for the dole/housing benefit/access to health service etc from the Spanish system which would be commensurate with the level of social support that a current Spaniard in the identical situation moving to the UK would have?

If it is indeed the case that it is a quid pro quo relationship, then surely it would be in our interest to all get a job somewhere in a EU country that we fancy for a couple of months and then live the life of Riley until our end of days?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 01:00 AM

Re: Quid pro quo

Welcome back, Dex, as thought provoking as ever!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top