Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:36 AM

The Queen Who Never Was.

Having just watched this programme about Mrs Simpson & Prince Edward's total infatuation with this twice divorced 40 year women, we would all like to know her the secret of her magnetism for his Royal Highness, who gave up his Country his family and friends for.
She was no great beauty but did have a presence an attractive personality.

She dressed beautifully in the most expensive Couture fashions, and made sure she remained slim all her life

Sadly, when Edward died she was lost, and spent the next ten years of her life as a recluse.
Ironically if this love story happened now, the British public ,Royal Family and Government would not have hated her so much.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:59 AM

Re: The Queen Who Never Was.

I watched it, Azure.
All very true what you say.
It made me think of Charles, he would never be King if it was back in those days. I enjoyed the programme.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 05:51 AM

I enjoyed it as well, I felt kind of sorry for them both. He had a very hard younger life by a bit of a tyrant of a father, who I think he drove to become a playboy prince with his harsh treatment of him. I also think she wasn't as bad as she was painted, it was the Government of the day who caused so much of the hassle, typical tories.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Seems people have forgotten and the 'firm' are attempting to re-write history - Edward was a Nazi !!!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Hhmmmmm, yes I had forgotten he rubbed shoulders with Hitler. But that doesn't actually make him a nazi though.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:37 AM

As i watched the film and the wonderful high society lifes they had , the self gratification and indulgance all i kept thinking of was the poor ordinary folk trying to make a life and a living in the rest of the country , those who were struggling and those who were cold and hungry .

Though i found the story interesting
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Not really much good to say about the pair really .
They didn't do much for anyone .
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Seems people have forgotten and the 'firm' are attempting to re-write history - Edward was a Nazi !!!
And Wallis was too. She introduced him to other Nazis and they shared the same ideology. So much so that even the
PM and government officials had them under surveillance.
Wallis and Edward were thrilled to meet Hitler and Hitler wanted Edward on the throne as an ally if he had won the war.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 02:24 PM

Wallis was more sophisticated, Prince of Wales was petulant and self-pitying. The programme suggested that government became alarmed when they realised the King was allowing papers to be seen by Wallis from despatch box which she revealed to guests at a dinner party. He had told her she was the only woman interested in his work, when they began affair.

The programme portrayed him as a clingy, needy man and Wallis as someone who found out too late the mistake she had made divorcing Ernest.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

13-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The programme portrayed him as a clingy, needy man and Wallis as someone who found out too late the mistake she had made divorcing Ernest.
There is another programme showing a very different story, it's Wallis's side, she realised she's made a huge mistake and tried to break things off with Edward, but he would have none of it. She was in touch with her 2nd husband whom she had stayed friends with, and the letters between them talking about this still exist today. The Historians were reading them out and it was a very interesting programme, certainly put a different slant on the whole affair. I hope it's shown again, I'll post on here if it is and you can watch if you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top