Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 01:18 AM

Re: Really rough pubs

They sounded great Floydy. It’s too bad about your ear. I have to get my ear suctioned out with a big machine by my ENT doctor but it works extremely.
The sax player looks pretty hot. She doesn’t sound bad either. Of course being a sax player myself I’m a tad bias. That would have been a great tribute.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 02:25 AM

I have never been interested in so-called "tribute bands" ..... they're just not the "real thing" .....

I believe my attitude towards "copies" was formed in 1963, when a well-intentioned granny bought me an unwelcome present - She Loves You by The Typhoons, a 7" Single from Embassy Records, number 45-WB 586

when I would have appreciated She Loves You by The Beatles, a 7" Single from Parlophone Records, number R 5055

http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1960s-newmusic.htm

From 1962 there was huge interest in the Beatles in both Britain and America. But at Woolworth's UK the closest you could get was a cover of the songs on Embassy or a set of Remco Dolls of the Fab Four at 19/11 the set (just under £1), a Beatles Car Mascot at 14 shillings and elevenpence (75p) or a Beatles china plate for five bob (25p)

At the time Woolworth didn't sell chart music on either side of the Atlantic. In the USA some stores sold bin ends of 45s and cartridges, while the British stores had built a strong following for cover versions recorded by unknown artists at a studio in New Bond Street, in fashionable Mayfair and rushed out to the shops on the same day as the official 'hit'.

Embassy's Beatles covers are perhaps the label's best 'hits'. Even critics admit that The Typhoons did the songs justice, despite the cheap price.

Some people loved these covers, others absolutely hated them.

Embassy Tops in Pops:
Singles 4/3 (21p) EPs 6/11 (34p)

I hated them ......
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I was in a pub with my wife many years back when we were still married. All I can remember is that we were killing time until a meeting, I think, so we went for a drink in a nearby bar. What a ghastly place! The clientele were lowlives, the place was filthy and the landlady had a collection of sex toys the regulars had bought her, so she informed us when we noticed them, on a shelf behind the bar.
Trust you to go into a Hostelry called "The Dildo Inn".
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I have never been interested in so-called "tribute bands" ..... they're just not the "real thing" .....

I believe my attitude towards "copies" was formed in 1963, when a well-intentioned granny bought me an unwelcome present - She Loves You by The Typhoons, a 7" Single from Embassy Records, number 45-WB 586

when I would have appreciated She Loves You by The Beatles, a 7" Single from Parlophone Records, number R 5055

http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1960s-newmusic.htm

I hated them ......
Wrong thread, Omah!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Ugh, yes, there was one pub that we all used to frequent when we were young. I hated going in there with my friends, but unfortunately because of the soul theme, it was THE most popular pub around and everybody headed there. The glasses were always rather dirty and stained, I had a glass of wine once that still had a lipstick imprint on the rim!! I always wiped the glass with a tissue before I drank anything from it. The floor was sticky there too, but the music was absolutely fantastic and the athmosphere even better.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 08:02 PM

One of the Pubs on the estate, the locals allowed none locals in through the door but made sure they exited through the windows.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 10:15 PM

My ex local is now a trendy gay pub, the worst trouble I have ever seen is a broken Fingernail, or a cutting comment. The chef is brill and does a fantastic steak
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-01-2019, 10:18 PM

There is always a problem, when you trust your future to the University of life, then, find out you enrolled on the wrong course.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
My ex local is now a trendy gay pub, the worst trouble I have ever seen is a broken Fingernail, or a cutting comment. The chef is brill and does a fantastic steak
Do you wish to share something with us, Rehab? We promise we won't tell your friends
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Haha. I remember waiting for a full rotation of the Earth waiting for our bill to come after dinner. Our server was Bruce, and the host was as flamboyant as they come.

When Bruce hadn't been seen for a ridiculous amount of time, my date motioned for the host, who sashayed up with all the flourishes he could muster.

After skipping off to find Bruce, he returned in no time to announce with a great deal of drama, "I'm terribly sorry, but Bruce had a crisis in the kitchen and has left."

We paid and then began to imagine...

What kind of a crisis can one have in a restaurant kitchen? What could possibly be that bad? Was there a crime scene? Was there a breakdown in the salad prep area?

I don't know, but we sure didn't go back.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top