Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Flea Treatment

We used to treat our dog with Frontline for fleas but when we went on holiday 2 years ago he stayed with my niece who had 2 cats and he came back to us with fleas.

We took him to the vets and asked how come he caught fleas when he is on regular treatment and she told us Frontline is no good so she prescribed tablets called Simparica which are quite expensive, £30 for 2 £15 per month which seems a lot.

I've just looked online and you can buy them quite a bit cheaper online with a prescription so I might do that,

What treatment do you use for your pets?
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Re: Flea Treatment

Firstly I never holiday with your niece
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:44 PM

I use Advantage (£4 a month from vets)on Dolly, none of them seem to work very well though. We have a hedgehog in the garden, I think she gets fleas of it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 09:47 PM

I am talking cats here, not dogs but spent months using spot on type treatments to no effect. In the end, I insisted they gave them injections which worked. Also there is an oral treatment that works instantly. No side effects and they are much happier and more relaxed.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am talking cats here, not dogs but spent months using spot on type treatments to no effect. In the end, I insisted they gave them injections which worked. Also there is an oral treatment that works instantly. No side effects and they are much happier and more relaxed.
how much do the injections cost Lodo?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

18-01-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I use Advantage (£4 a month from vets)on Dolly, none of them seem to work very well though. We have a hedgehog in the garden, I think she gets fleas of it.
oh yeah, hedgehogs are riddled with fleas aren;'t they, I'm scratching my head now lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 10:48 PM

First and foremost, I never use preventative flea treatments on my dogs and never have done.

I will de-flea mine if and when I ever see a flea, which is almost never.

Do we take Paracetamol all the time incase we get a headache one day? No.

Same principal to me.

Apart from that, if you continually use the same chemical, the fleas become immune to it.
Same as garden insects become immune to sprays, and worms become immune to the same wormers used year after year.

Same as humans are becoming immune to overuse of antibiotics!

If you want to treat a dog for fleas that hasn't even got these pesky critters, you must change the chemical annually. Not just the brand name, I mean read what chemical is in it, and change to a brand with a different chemical.
Same with wormers.

So many vets flog wormers, and de-fleeing stuff at the same time the poor dog has it's boosters.
Stop and think for a moment what a huge array of nasty chemicals you are administering in one go, especially with young puppies.

I feel very strongly about this.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 11:25 PM

I use Frontline, have done for many years, never once had a problem.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I use Frontline, have done for many years, never once had a problem.

My vet told me years ago, when I had livestock, to change the chemical. Makes perfect sense to me.

Also, it's always in the news about humans no longer responding to over-used antibiotics.
This is why GP's have been told not to hand them out unless it is really necessary now - not until they have developed newer ones anyway.

BTW, if/when I do buy wormers, I have used these people for years. Reliable, good service, and quick. Fraction of vets price too.
They also deal with repeat prescriptions too.

They also do human medicines.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/?gclid=E...SAAEgJUm_D_BwE
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 02:05 PM

Frontline....there are 2 different types, the stuff you can get over the counter and the stuff you get on prescription from your vet/online etc.

The over the counter stuff is a preventative but the prescription stuff (Combo) has an added ingredient that kills the larvae before they develop into adults, thus interrupting the life cycle. It's supposed to be more effective.

I am using the over the counter Frontline at the moment and have never had a problem.

I did once use Bravecto, which is a chewable tablet and that worked well but it was quite expensive.

I've also used Advocate while my dog was young as that protects against lung worm as well (but not the other kinds of worms).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top