Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 12:58 PM

Re: Is CCleaner Safe? - MUO article extract and link

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Last one soon to go - Defraggler .....

The recent Windows 10 Update which included a fix for Windows Defragger reminded me to look for a Defraggler replacement - I'm currently testing Disk SpeedUp .....
Incidentally, Defraggler won't work on an SSD drive as the stored data is allocated differently.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Incidentally, Defraggler won't work on an SSD drive as the stored data is allocated differently.
I haven't got an SSD drive .....

..... and Defraggler's going anyway .....

But Defraggler say:

Defraggler and SSDs

What is the TRIM function?

As with a standard HDD, over time, the performance of an SSD will deteriorate with use. This is due to the method in which the SSD reads and writes data.

For example: When you write a file to a new SSD, it will be written directly to the block at full speed. However if you then delete this file, it is not instantly removed. The space it occupies is instead marked by the operating system as “not in use”. When the space is required by the operating system, it will overwrite this space.

However, unlike a standard HDD, it cannot do this in 1 action. It must first erase all the data before it is able to write the new information to the block. When deleting a file on an SSD, a TRIM command is also sent to wipe the marked block clean. This means that the SSD can now write to a completely blank block.

Defraggler is now able to use this TRIM function to optimize your SSD.

What is Zero Fill?

There are occasions when an SSD is not TRIM-capable. In the event of this, Defraggler is able to use an alternative method to help improve the write speed performance of your SSD. This is known as Zero Filling.

The performance of an SSD is based around the time taken to write to a block. This is at its quickest when the block is blank (zero-filled). If there are no blank blocks left, blocks must be erased to provide space for the new data. This slows down the write process. If there is no TRIM function available, the SSD cannot erase the blocks in advanced.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:36 PM

Well, Defraggler went but, subsequently, Windows Defender issued warnings regarding Piriform and its applications as being PUA / PUP (potentially unwanted application / potentially unwanted program).

This was surprising since there no Piriform applications/software left on my PC so I spent some time on the internet and found some solutions, many, IMO, far too complex to resolve the issue. In the end, though, I found this solution:

Clearing Threat in Protection History Windows 10

Example

PUA:Win32/PiriformBundler
Detected by Microsoft Defender Antivirus
Aliases: No associated aliases
Summary
Certain installers for free and 14-day trial versions of CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, and Speccy come with bundled applications, including applications that are not required or developed by the same publisher Piriform. While the bundled applications themselves are legitimate, bundling of software, especially products from other providers, can result in unexpected software activity that can negatively impact user experiences. To protect Windows users, Microsoft Defender Antivirus detects installers for Piriform applications that exhibit this behav-ior as potentially unwanted applications (PUA).

THE PROBLEM:

Defender has taken care of a virus but every time you open Defender a notification of that virus lingers, making you feel uneasy that you haven't actually taken care of it.

Until Microsoft sees fit to fix this problem, you can prevent the repeating error indication, by deleting the items that are described in Windows Defender Protection History. You can delete them by accessing their files, that are located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service.

In the "Service" folder, find and delete "Detection History".

Note: ProgramData is a hidden file. In order to access it, the "Hidden Items" option in "File Explorer" must be checked. Find the "Hidden Items" check box under the "View Tab".

And, the first time that you access "Scans", you must select "continue", to obtain the permission.

Restart and try another scan. Notifications for the current malware should stop.

However, this program miscue will probably reoccur, when the next PUP / Malware is encountered.
It worked for me .....

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top