Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:27 PM

Re: MoT

I take my motor to local garage who I trust Shropshiregirl. I drop it in first thing in the morning and it is serviced prior to being tested. It can't fail if the service was done correctly. Brake discs and pads would be replaced if they were needed. If your motor had passed last year and not been used all that much I doubt that the discs and pads would have shown signs of wear, although being stood for long periods the brakes would need some maintenance for corrosion and seized parts.

It's a good Idea to give your car a good blowout on the motorway occasionally and stand on the brakes to keep em' in good working order. Diesels particularly like a good long run to clear the catalytic converter and burn out the debris....Good luck with the MOT Shroppy....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:35 PM

Your "national" MoT centre, SG, does its name start with a K or H? If so, I think you were robbed last year by one of the many cowboys they tend to employ (IMHO). BTW, did you get back the parts they replaced?

I always use the same mechanic (recommended to us when we moved here 7yrs ago). He takes our car to his favoured MoT centre and then does any necessary work (disc pads and disks replaced last year). We used someone else a few years ago because he was ill, and the list of recommended work was enormous (but totally unnecessary according to our man).
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I take my motor to local garage who I trust Shropshiregirl. I drop it in first thing in the morning and it is serviced prior to being tested. It can't fail if the service was done correctly. Brake discs and pads would be replaced if they were needed. If your motor had passed last year and not been used all that much I doubt that the discs and pads would have shown signs of wear, although being stood for long periods the brakes would need some maintenance for corrosion and seized parts.

It's a good Idea to give your car a good blowout on the motorway occasionally and stand on the brakes to keep em' in good working order. Diesels particularly like a good long run to clear the catalytic converter and burn out the debris....Good luck with the MOT Shroppy....
Thanks OGF. HWMO does take it for a drive now and again on the open roads to one of the nearest three towns (all 18 miles as the cock crows) from us. We drive less than 3000 miles per year but she does get plenty of local outings to ensure she is okay. HWMO just putting his coat on now as booked in for 4 pm. Not going with him as too cold for me today. Will let you know the result. (GULP!)
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Your "national" MoT centre, SG, does its name start with a K or H? If so, I think you were robbed last year by one of the many cowboys they tend to employ (IMHO). BTW, did you get back the parts they replaced?

I always use the same mechanic (recommended to us when we moved here 7yrs ago). He takes our car to his favoured MoT centre and then does any necessary work (disc pads and disks replaced last year). We used someone else a few years ago because he was ill, and the list of recommended work was enormous (but totally unnecessary according to our man).
Yes Percy, it was K. Today's is someone recommended by neighbours as being trustworthy, local, independent and used by many locals, so am keeping my fingers crossed.
Before K, We always used the same MOT centre at another local independent garage, but unfortunately he closed when retired.

We didn't think to ask for the parts back!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Yes Percy, it was K. Today's is someone recommended by neighbours as being trustworthy, local, independent and used by many locals, so am keeping my fingers crossed.
Thought so. They're always in trouble for one thing or another. I won't even buy replacement tyres from them any more.

Using someone that is recommended is a very good idea imho because if he does a poor job you will tell whoever recommended him. Word will get around and eventually he's the one that loses out.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Thanks for that info Percy. I do wish I had known about this last year. Fortunately, we could afford the repairs they said were needed, but I do feel for those that can't because these bills are never cheap are they?

HWMO has taken the car now so all we can do is hope everything is okay. I will never set foot in K again.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-02-2020, 06:14 PM

Thank goodness. HWMO has just walked back in. The car is outside with a full pass! not even one advisory note. HWMO said he was a really nice chap - he got there at 3.50pm for 4.00pm appointment and the tester told him to come back in an hour. He was just finishing when he returned at 4.50pm.
When the tester saw him he just said "No problems at all".
Thank goodness for recommendations and trustworthy independent MOT testers.

Such a relief as Tax and Insurance coming up soon.

Thank you for your sound and invaluable advice.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 08:20 PM

Great news Shropshiregirl, I bet there is enough money left over for a drink down the local for Percy and me.....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:55 PM

Shropshiregirl, have you a local council mot centre nearby, if so you could use them, that don’t just mot council vehicles they do joe public as well, and they don’t repair or sell parts so there’s nothing in it for them to fail cars on things that aren’t required,
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:34 PM

"Shropshiregirl, have you a local council mot centre nearby, if so you could use them, that don’t just mot council vehicles they do joe public as well, and they don’t repair or sell parts so there’s nothing in it for them to fail cars on things that aren’t required,"

Plus 1 on that. I had a car badly failed by a Kwik something centre where the tester later lost his ticket as a tester for failing cars that should have passed. If you can't use a local authority centre then best to get advice and find an independent local garage. honestjohn.co.uk might help. We've been using the same local garage for 20 years, he's honest, fair, and trustworthy.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top