Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 02:08 AM

Re: Not used for a couple of weeks = Flat Battery

I've been starting mine up. I remembered to put petrol in before lockdown thank heavens!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've been starting mine up. I remembered to put petrol in before lockdown thank heavens!
Fuel is much cheaper now though. 88c/L in some servos.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 10:49 AM

All well after recharging the battery.

Ran a quick check, on the Hyundai i40, to see what the current usage is when switched off.

Even though it's a huge battery, the drain is quite high due to what's still connected when switched off, i.e. Alarm system.

I'll need to trickle charge it for the rest of the lockdown.

Luckily no loss of key codes, radio setting,s, etc. so just keeping it charged will be enough.

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Fuel is much cheaper now though. 88c/L in some servos.
Our Sainsbury's had petrol at £1.059/lt this morning. I can't remember the last time it was so cheap.

Re: drained batteries. Friends of ours bought a brand new BMW 523i, delivered to their home by BMW, superb looking motor. They put it in the garage, locked it up, and went on a 2 week holiday as previously planned. Returned home, and the next day D went out to the garage to go for a spin and, clunk, battery was flat. During the 2 weeks they were away, the alarm system, immobiliser and sundry other electronic gizmos within the vehicle had drained the battery because they are NEVER switched off. Needless to say, D and H were not best pleased and had a real go at their BMW agent.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 10:13 AM

No, letting a car tick over will not charge the battery, to replace the amount of power taken from a battery on one start needs a run of about 30 miles, an alternator only puts out power above 1500 rpm, so a car ticking over at say 900 rpm will achieve nothing, except leave you at risk from some scrote pinching it.
I have a device on my landrover, identical to the one's fitted to police cars, a runlock, Basically, you start the engine and push the runlock button, then remove the ignition key, the engine remains running, however releasing the handbrake or pressing the brake pedal causes the engine to shut down, it's great in winter when it's on the drive defrosting.
If you are not using your car then leave a battery charger attached, modern battery chargers will charge the battery, then go into what is called 'float mode', they don't put anything in, so no risk of overcharging, they simply monitor it and top up as required. Another thing to remember if it's not being used is to leave the handbrake off, either leave it in gear or put a brick behind one of the wheels, there's nothing better for strtching the cable, or causing a sticking handbrake than leaving it on for several weeks.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Our Sainsbury's had petrol at £1.059/lt this morning. I can't remember the last time it was so cheap.

Re: drained batteries. Friends of ours bought a brand new BMW 523i, delivered to their home by BMW, superb looking motor. They put it in the garage, locked it up, and went on a 2 week holiday as previously planned. Returned home, and the next day D went out to the garage to go for a spin and, clunk, battery was flat. During the 2 weeks they were away, the alarm system, immobiliser and sundry other electronic gizmos within the vehicle had drained the battery because they are NEVER switched off. Needless to say, D and H were not best pleased and had a real go at their BMW agent.
It's all to do with what is called the 'body control system' , modern cars have several computers each doing a particular job, my landrover has two, my previous car, a Citroen, had three! They handle various things, from traction control and engine management, controlling fueling and emmissions and such, right down to locking and immobilising the vehicle. One of them controls power management and in mechanic speak, 'puts things to sleep' at various times. initially, when you turn off the car it shuts things off like aircon and heated seats, as time passes it shuts off other devices.usually if you leave a door open, it will turn off the interior light after about twenty minutes, as another part of the system goes to sleep,eventually, only the security system is left active, and the clock and radio memory, even the central locking is put to sleep, it's only reactivated as you open the vehicle, trying to open it, turns off the alarm, a split second later it 'wakes up' the central locking.
One important word of caution about jump starting a modern car, do not leave the keys in the ignition when you connect the jump leads, the car will automatically lock as it senses the power!
A mate of mine had a new Mercedes, he'd not used it for a while as it was winter and it stayed nice and dry in the garage. When he went to start it the battery was flat, so he borrowed my leads, I have some really long heavy duty ones, he connected them to the Merc and took the other end out of the garage to connect to the other car, to get out he had to shut the Mercs door, he attached the leads and heard a clunk, he then found out that it had locked, with the keys inside. it took him ages to find the spare set as he'd put them away 'safe'. he was lucky he had a spare set.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
No, letting a car tick over will not charge the battery, to replace the amount of power taken from a battery on one start needs a run of about 30 miles, an alternator only puts out power above 1500 rpm, so a car ticking over at say 900 rpm will achieve nothing, .
That is not correct most modern cars will charge the battery at idling (unless the battery is already almost fully charged or the car is very old).
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 02:42 PM

That is not correct most modern cars will charge the battery at idling (unless the battery is already almost fully charged or the car is very old).
I'm with you there, Bruce. I thought it was the old dynamo system that needed the engine running at more than 1500 rpm to charge the battery.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 02:47 PM

Yes it does. I was told that it takes about 10 minutes to replace the energy used by starting but I would double that if the battery is a bit dodgy.

Having said that a good battery should have many starts in it without recharging.

Sorry Bruce, I've only just seen your reply.
Thanks very much.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
No, letting a car tick over will not charge the battery, to replace the amount of power taken from a battery on one start needs a run of about 30 miles, an alternator only puts out power above 1500 rpm, so a car ticking over at say 900 rpm will achieve nothing, except leave you at risk from some scrote pinching it.
I have a device on my landrover, identical to the one's fitted to police cars, a runlock, Basically, you start the engine and push the runlock button, then remove the ignition key, the engine remains running, however releasing the handbrake or pressing the brake pedal causes the engine to shut down, it's great in winter when it's on the drive defrosting.
If you are not using your car then leave a battery charger attached, modern battery chargers will charge the battery, then go into what is called 'float mode', they don't put anything in, so no risk of overcharging, they simply monitor it and top up as required. Another thing to remember if it's not being used is to leave the handbrake off, either leave it in gear or put a brick behind one of the wheels, there's nothing better for strtching the cable, or causing a sticking handbrake than leaving it on for several weeks.
Not true,

A rough rule of thumb is six miles will put back the energy used for one start, and they do charge on idle.
All cars have parasitic drain as well - the more gadgets the more drain. However, the bcu (body control unit) shuts down anything not needed within a few minutes.
Most cars have a parasitic drain of circa 60 mah, but 150 mah is not unusual on some. 60 mah will drain the battery at a rate of around 1.4A per day.
If a car is not used for 2-3 weeks, it's not unusual or a fault if the battery becomes flat.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top