Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:06 PM

Re: Texting on a bike

I never really learnt lessons Baz, one dark evening on the estate I was about 13 tears old and dashing around on my Racing Bike, no lights on of course. Alleyways were a feature where rows of houses rear gardens backed onto each other. each having a chain link fence of about 3 feet tall supported by appropriate concrete posts. Well some miscreant had decided to liberate the fence from the posts, and left it draped across the alley, my front wheel got trapped and bought me to an abrupt stop, flying over the handlebars the crown of my head making contact with the corner of the concrete post. I refused to have the stitches my Mother said I required, but, for years I still rode cycles without any head protection, some folks never learn!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I never really learnt lessons Baz, one dark evening on the estate I was about 13 tears old and dashing around on my Racing Bike, no lights on of course. Alleyways were a feature where rows of houses rear gardens backed onto each other. each having a chain link fence of about 3 feet tall supported by appropriate concrete posts. Well some miscreant had decided to liberate the fence from the posts, and left it draped across the alley, my front wheel got trapped and bought me to an abrupt stop, flying over the handlebars the crown of my head making contact with the corner of the concrete post. I refused to have the stitches my Mother said I required, but, for years I still rode cycles without any head protection, some folks never learn!!!
I did a similar thing, riding too close to a curtain side lorry, I got my handlebars caught in one of the straps. One minute I was upright, the next, not so much.

Mind you, I was only about thirteen and we didn't have crash helmets back then unless you had a moped; the fools I'm talking about are grown men (and probably women too)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 06:23 PM

I haven't been out on my bike since the lockdown, Definitely getting withdrawal symptoms now. I'm thinking of taking the chance that I can steer clear of pedestrians.

I'm on the road of course but 2 metres is quite a wide berth to give people and would involve me going towards the centre of the road and into the traffic a bit more. I've got a mirror to see what's behind me before pulling out but even so...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top