Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 04:45 PM

Re: Help needed for my suv

Originally Posted by sparky ->
What is the exact make and model, I'll see what I can find out for you, I know a few mechanics and being an electrician reading a wiring diagram is no problem for me.
1996 Toyota 4 runner SR-5, automatic transmission, 196K miles
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
not only the advantages you stated, but also stops it going anywhere if the handbrake cable snaps, they don't teach the young un's proper driving techniques today. nowadays apparently they don't like you changing gears to slow down as clutches are expensive, just use the brakes, yeah right, good luck with that in winter, perhaps that's why there are more accidents involving younger people, they are not taught to handle a vehicle properly.
Perhaps they should all start motoring by riding a motorcycle, that gives far more knowledge about 'reading the road' ahead and as for braking, well nowadays it's probably better with motorcycles having disc brakes but in the 1960s there was none of that so using the gearbox to slow down was a necessity. Also it's helpful, very helpful to know what tyres do and more importantly, don't do on wet or icy roads. Good lessons to learn – get it wrong and it's painful falling off!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 06:26 PM

As suggested, I held my foot on the brake. Did not work.
I also slammed the gear shift into park. Did not work.

My goodness, there sure are an awful lot of parts to the starting system. In the old days all we had to do is turn the key and if the battery was good, the car would start OR at least you'd hear something. Not so with todays modern over engineered cars.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 09:43 PM

Little story about the Toyota 4 runner I had.
One winter with snow on the ground going around a corner very carefully I hasten to add, tghe back slid out and i did nearly a 360. A police officer saw and was going to do me for careless driving. I said to him there is the car dreive down the road as I did. So he got in to car and did exactly the same thing, the back side out exactly the same. Needless to say no charges were bought against me. Eventually we carried a large bag of sand in the back which helped.
The 4 runner was a stop gap build as was the Landcruiser Amazon GS 4.2 deisel.
Just a couple of toyotas I had of the 4 amazons and the 4 runner at different times

Absolutely fabulous cars to drive. Love to have one now but they don't make them for the UK market any more
bakerman
Mexico

25-06-2020, 10:25 PM

I decided to by-pass the entire original ignition system and I will install a push-button ignition by-pass. It seems simple and straight forward.

Merely need to use a crimp eyelet connecter on the positive side of the starter solenoid and run that wire thru the firewall to the dashboard. Drill a hole in the dash. Connect the wire to the switch. The other side of the switch is wired directly to the positive side of the battery. Install the switch into the dashboard.

Of course, the key still needs to be in the "run position". Now merely push the button and the SUV should start right up.

This way of doing it is exactly like an old fashion farm tractor starting or a WW2 jeep.
bakerman
Mexico

26-06-2020, 02:03 PM

I swear, I think that Toyota has a ghost. Just as I was about to buy the parts to do an ignition by-pass, it decided to start. 10-12 times in a row it started.

I just don't get it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I swear, I think that Toyota has a ghost. Just as I was about to buy the parts to do an ignition by-pass, it decided to start. 10-12 times in a row it started.

I just don't get it.
You didn't buy it off of realspeed did you.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 02:20 PM

Sparky's suggestion in post 16 looks a possibility.
bakerman
Mexico

26-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Sparky's suggestion in post 16 looks a possibility.
Sparky's suggestion was a good one. The guy in the video, however, is an idiot. He didn't have a screwdriver? What the hell kind of mechanic is he ??? he used vise grips to pull the relay from the box? Vise grips ???
Not Sparky's fault. He did the best he could. Thanks, guy.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 11:16 AM

Most electrickery problems on cars (and aeroplanes) these days are caused by sensor or interlock failures. The more intricate the safety interlocks to prevent a dangerous start condition, the more things to go wrong.

Intermittent faults, or "self curing faults" as they are oft times known, are the devil's own job to trouble shoot. If the fault isn't there, you can't diagnose it.

My suggestion would be to go ahead with the electrical bypass, but put an isolator switch in the cockpit as well. That way if the Ute starts normally you can leave the bypass system inactive, but if the ignition system fails you can close the isolator then use the push button starter to get yoursef going.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top