Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2020, 02:50 PM

Re: Newbie...

Hello and welcome.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2020, 04:27 PM

Welcome to the forum Emily.
emily_xo
New Member!
United States
emily_xo is female 

24-07-2020, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
Sadly there are a lot of very bad people on-line, as I know to my cost, it is not possible to tell what they are actually like unless you have met them in person. I sympathise with your mother, if she doesn't want to belong to a forum, I think you should respect her wishes.
I agree. Being online can be an awful experience if you mingle with the wrong people. I have respected her, and told her just that.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Hello emily_xo, there is a popular misconception that the 50s part of the Forums title refers to an age criteria, it does not, it refers to the minimum "IQ" threshold potential members are expected to possess.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
Sadly there are a lot of very bad people on-line, as I know to my cost, it is not possible to tell what they are actually like unless you have met them in person. I sympathise with your mother, if she doesn't want to belong to a forum, I think you should respect her wishes.
Also sadly there are a lot of very bad people in real life too Emily_xo, after all that is where those of that same ilk online come from. I also know this to my cost and have found out it is not always possible to know people are very bad, until they turn on you for their own nasty, ulterior motives.
I do agree and sympathise with your mother, if those are her wishes then they should be respected.

It's a real shame though as there are many, many good people online, usually these outnumber the bad ones, just as in real life. A forum can give back many times the amount of good times compared to the few bad times, again that's just like it is in real life. Maybe some day your mother might give a forum a try, just to find out what it's really like for her, and she may get the good out of it, as the majority here on OFF possibly get out of this forum. That amount of good is also as varied as there are members and their various reasons for joining, as with any forum.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 11:45 AM

Good Morning Emily and a very warm welcome.
I do sympathise with both you and your mother. As she says, there are nasty people out there only too happy to make other people miserable to match their own persona. But equally, there are many lovely people who cheer one up as soon as they join in the many conversations such as here at OFF.

All I can personally tell you is that I have been here on OFF for over several years and I have yet to meet any unkind or nasty people. Maybe the odd argumentative one, but they don't tend to hang around for very long when they realise we won't take the bait.

I know a few on here say to respect your mother's wishes regarding forums, that is correct, but on the other hand, a little encouragement to join in wouldn't do any harm either, we really are harmless and honestly, there are so many different topics on here that she would be spoilt for choice and would soon find that she would enjoy joining in the many conversations. What has she to lose? If she doesn't like us, at least she would have given us a try. We always do our utmost to make new members welcome.

P.S. An idea! Why not make her avatar "Emily'sMum" ?? she would be swamped with welcome hugs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Hello emily_xo, there is a popular misconception that the 50s part of the Forums title refers to an age criteria, it does not, it refers to the minimum "IQ" threshold potential members are expected to possess.
I was a wildcard.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top