Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 06:00 PM

Robotic lawnmowers

Having recently bought a robotic vacuum cleaner (for substantially less than the price of many a normal vac), and enjoy coming downstairs every day knowing that the floors of the dining room, lounge, hall and kitchen have been cleaned (even under some tables and sofas where one doesn't normally bother that often), I was toying with getting a robotic lawnmower.

Has anyone got one, had one, known friends who use one and can thus testify to the pros and cons?

Thanks
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 12:38 AM

Re: Robotic lawnmowers

I'm a robotic lawn mower, I just follow the lawn mower until the awful job is done.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 01:39 AM

How does a robotic lawnmower distinguish between grass and bulb leaves, say daffodils that are near the border?

A robotic weeder would be nice.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
How does a robotic lawnmower distinguish between grass and bulb leaves, say daffodils that are near the border?

A robotic weeder would be nice.
I believe you set out a boundary so the mower wont stray from it so bulbs and plants shouldn’t be cut..
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:12 AM

I have a robotic lawnmower, just took one on this year. He arrives once every two or three weeks, cuts the front and back lawns in less time than I could, using his own lawnmower. I pay a fee to him for this and best of all the three or four hours I used to take to do the job can be used for something else, like sitting in the garden. Best of all I don't feel in the least bit shattered after the grass is cut!

Realistically though, both are big lawns and it was not an easy task due to a health problem. I also would have needed to buy a new lawnmower this year or next, the present one is now 12 years' old. Petrol mowers also need servicing at about £100+ every year, plus fuel to run them. That is after paying out about £700 for a new one. Taking everything into account this way is far better and so much easier.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Petrol mowers also need servicing at about £100+ every year, plus fuel to run them. That is after paying out about £700 for a new one. Taking everything into account this way is far better and so much easier.
Bloody hell - my Victa mower cost just under $400 (£200) last year and lasts at least 5 years without any maintenance expenses (let's face it anybody can work on a Briggs and Stratton engine)

To get someone to cut my grass would cost at least $25 a week so there is no contest.

The only thing that really bugs me is that the council's grass is a bigger area than the grass on my block (Mine is a corner block) so I spend too long cutting their grass
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 11:26 AM

I have a robotic lawnmower, just took one on this year. He arrives once every two or three weeks, cuts the front and back lawns in less time than I could, using his own lawnmower. I pay a fee to him for this and best of all the three or four hours I used to take to do the job can be used for something else, like sitting in the garden. Best of all I don't feel in the least bit shattered after the grass is cut!

Realistically though, both are big lawns and it was not an easy task due to a health problem. I also would have needed to buy a new lawnmower this year or next, the present one is now 12 years' old. Petrol mowers also need servicing at about £100+ every year, plus fuel to run them. That is after paying out about £700 for a new one. Taking everything into account this way is far better and so much easier.
At this time of year, my lawn really needs cutting once (or possibly twice) a week and my mower doesn't mulch the cuttings back down into the lawn. Suppose I could fit a mulching blade so I don't lose the clippings - there's no room for a compost bin.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 12:13 PM

Service mine myself, no cost at all. Briggs and Stratton engine will last for ever,its the body of the damn mower that give up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:45 PM

Strewth Baz! I'd want gold wheels for that.

They've got petrol mowers down B & Q starting at around £150 quid. Even the posher ones are only around £350.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
At this time of year, my lawn really needs cutting once (or possibly twice) a week and my mower doesn't mulch the cuttings back down into the lawn. Suppose I could fit a mulching blade so I don't lose the clippings - there's no room for a compost bin.
What about a Compost Corner?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top