Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 11:03 PM

Re: The most and least reliable cars.

All new cars are reliable, I always ponder how 1970s Leyland offerings would stack up with speed bumps, and their fragile "Ball Joint" shortcomings?
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The problem with German cars are that the public have a perceived view that they are the most reliable cars, this used to be the case, but quality has suffered over the years due to cost cutting, ect, that said there are plenty of owners with no complaints at all, but some parts can be eye wateringly expensive, Nissan, since their part merger with Renault has also taken a backward step in reliability and quality, but most Japanese cars, Honda, Toyota Suzuki Mazda, are generally seen as very reliable cars, although Mazda diesels are to be avoided,
Land Rover have had problems with their Diesel engines due to the particulate filter being too far away from the engine and not being able to get hot enough to regenerate,
I read (can't recall where) somewhere that out of all the millions of Honda VTEC engines manufactured there had never, ever been a warranty claim against the VTEC system.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 07:23 AM

My Yaris was the most reliable car I ever had, never failed an MOT, only ever replaced a few bits. I was so sad when that stupid woman wrote it off!

My Nissan is reliable so far, but not had it a year yet.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 07:45 AM

Looking broadly at those lists it really says - Asian cars reliable, European cars unreliable.

Which to be honest would be the general opinion here I think.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Looking broadly at those lists it really says - Asian cars reliable, European cars unreliable.

Which to be honest would be the general opinion here I think.

Can't argue with that Bruce, although the Citroen Berlingo Van I had as a courier just kept going and going and clocked up 300,000 miles with just a new accelerator cable needed ....
Soooooo Comfortable on long drives too...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 11:26 AM

That suvey in the OP link is a load of old " bo**ocks" they didn't find out if the cars had been serviced as per manufactures instructions. They didn't find out how they were driven- they didn't find out where they were parked (garaged/outside). They didn't taken into account if those surveyed lived by the sea so the salt air could make a difference.

If they don't ask the right questions then they won't get the right answers.

Just an example, if a driver drives with his foot on the clutch as many do, then the clutch will wear out quicker. If they constantly brake hard at the last moment the brake shoes are going to wear out quicker. So driving style can have a an affect on the cars faults
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Of course the list is accurate......
SUV's and Diesels are crap, closely followed by the larger petrol engines, and electric cars (Hybrids) are the bees knees......Who did the testing? Extinction Rebellion?

I bought my 2 litre n-tec Diesel Qashqai ten years ago from new, it's like excretia off a shovel with four people and their luggage on board, and apart from servicing and MOT, the only money I've had to lay out on is a knackered flat battery.

I agree Fox. I have the 1.6 diesel and that's quick enough so i would imagine the 2L is very fast. Mine sat in the car park for six weeks during lockdown but started first time. I recently drove just over 400 miles in it and it cost me £40.

Tbh, I doubt there are enough EVs around to test them yet.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
I read (can't recall where) somewhere that out of all the millions of Honda VTEC engines manufactured there had never, ever been a warranty claim against the VTEC system.
The VTEC in my old CRV just went on and on and on.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 08:18 AM

My Nissan xtrail Tekna is now 5 years old and never let me down, nor have any other Jap cars I have had
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 12:12 PM

I think the reliability of modern cars is (driven LOL!) by three factors?
1/ electronic ignition in the case of petrol engines, and fuel injection
systems in both petrol & diesel engines??
2/ electro static painting systems with a galvanising treatment before
painting ?
3/ And the use of new materials of all kinds that werent available
before now ?
I think the main requirement of any vehicle to qualify as reliable is
that the bloody thing starts in the morning and l think that most cars
do this nowadays as long as the battery is looked after?

Donkeyman! 👍👍

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top