Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JeanMcP
Ireland
JeanMcP is female  JeanMcP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 10:05 PM

Re: Will Life Ever Go Back To Normal

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree. A vaccine is the only thing that will change the situation but they are not ready to give it to us yet. I did hear somewhere that one of the human guinea pigs is very ill after being injected.

Thats correct

Its the Oxford Trial, which isn't just people in the UK, its being trailed world wide

One person some where in the world has gotten very sick. Its not unusual, thats part of human trials . This is nothing unusual and is to be expected. So the trials come to a standstill until they investigate why this one person got sick

My worry is, and thats with years of NHS service behind me, is that in the rush for a vaccine, corners are being cut

I won't be in the queue for the first wave of vaccinations
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by JeanMcP ->
Thats correct

Its the Oxford Trial, which isn't just people in the UK, its being trailed world wide

One person some where in the world has gotten very sick. Its not unusual, thats part of human trials . This is nothing unusual and is to be expected. So the trials come to a standstill until they investigate why this one person got sick

My worry is, and thats with years of NHS service behind me, is that in the rush for a vaccine, corners are being cut

Me neither.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by JeanMcP ->
Thats correct

Spot on Jean, and I certainly won't be first in the queue either.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 11:49 PM

I think life as we knew it has gone, but for how long I couldn't say. We can do very little about it, just hope as time passes it will get better. We, daughter & I, have things booked for October/November but who knows if any will go ahead.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 12:03 AM

From what I have read it took over three years for things to get back to a semblance of normality after the 1918 pandemic. It took that long to built up herd immunity with several waves of the disease following the initial outbreak.

The difference now is tha most governments are not going for herd immunity (with the exception of countries like Sweden) and are pinning hopes on a vaccine. There seems to be a consensus among the experts that a vaccine is unlikely this year and will be pretty useless if it is only as effective as the flu vaccine (ie 30 to 50% effective). Who know what next year holds?

In Australia outbreaks seem to be concentrated in the cities (ie Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne) with few or no cases elsewhere. I am hoping to travel more next month after the school holidays if things stay as they are. Currently limited to NSW but the SA border to NSW is rumoured to be opening soon
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 06:17 AM

I think the worst is yet to come...sorry to be a pessimist

I usually go away over Christmas but looks like that won't be happening this year....oh well I suppose its a small price to pay in the scheme of things....i agree LQ I usually hug everyone ( well almost everyone) I miss that.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 07:31 AM

I dont know what to think to be honest . Now there are new restrictions on Monday . I think this will be long term and mask wearing every flu season will come in too even after covid, if there is an after .

I'm quite an upbeat person but even I feel a depression hovering at times.

The world has turned upside down
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 09:41 AM

I'm not a hugger so that being stopped is fine with me as it makes me so uncomfortable. I also feel it will be a long time before life resumes as we knew it. I don't like several things the way they have to be done now, but I just have to accept if and bite the bullet if I want to do whatever.
As for taking part in trials, no that's not for me, also not in a rush to get a vaccine, I'll be waiting a while. What does bother me a lot is what was said on the News last night about Social Unrest, that raises all sorts of worries in my head.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 09:42 AM

Masks and social distancing will be the norm for a long time to come.
But eventually things will get back to as they were..

I just carry on as best I can within the restrictions. Just accept the situation, it won't help anyone to stress over it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:04 AM

I think it will be a long time before we get back to some kind of 'normal'.

C19 has become endemic worldwide , as has been said by virologists 'until C19 is controlled everywhere it isn't controlled anywhere' . A reliable vaccine will help in the UK if the uptake among the population reaches a certain level but the reluctance of some to be vaccinated will mean there will be constant resurgences of the virus coming in from other countries. The logistics of vaccinating the world population mean it will take a long time to achieve also there will always be a large number of those who refuse vaccination allowing pockets of the virus to exist .

I see no return to the kind of 'normality' we once had for the foreseeable future.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top