Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 04:31 PM

Coronavirus: Disposable masks 'causing enormous plastic waste'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54057799
The government has been urged to do more to get people to switch from disposable masks to reusable coverings.

The Liberal Democrats said single-use surgical masks caused "enormous" plastic waste and that environmentally friendly alternatives must be promoted. And the Green Party wants ministers to push the media to show them less, to stop their use becoming "normalised".
Disposable masks contain plastics which pollute water and can harm wildlife who eat them or become tangled in them.
The latest figures for Britain from the Office for National Statistics suggested 96% of adults who had left their homes in the past week had worn a face covering. Environmental groups say hundreds of thousands, even millions, of single-use masks are being dumped outdoors, blighting towns and the countryside.

The official guidance for England is to wear a reusable, washable one where possible. It also states that used disposable face coverings - often containing the plastic polypropylene - should be put in "black bag" waste bins "or a litter bin if you're outside". It adds that people should "not put them in a recycling bin as they cannot be recycled through conventional recycling facilities" and "take them home... if there is no litter bin - do not drop them as litter".
Mine are all washable and reusable .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 05:47 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Disposable masks 'causing enormous plastic waste'

I've got the washable ones too Omah, but keep some of the disposable ones in my car as well, because sometimes I get to a place and have forgotten my mask.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've got the washable ones too Omah, but keep some of the disposable ones in my car as well, because sometimes I get to a place and have forgotten my mask.
TBH, I have half a dozen masks, 2 pairs of gloves and a packet of sanitiser wipes (all dispoosable) in my car, for emergencies (not necessarily my own ..... ) .....

For the washable ones, I'm trying out SurSol Face Mask Sanitising Spray, a broad spectrum anti-bacterial and anti-viral spray for sanitising and disinfecting face masks, providing extra protection .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
TBH, I have half a dozen masks, 2 pairs of gloves and a packet of sanitiser wipes (all dispoosable) in my car, for emergencies (not necessarily my own ..... ) .....

Talking of sanitisers, whether it be wipes, gells or sprays, are all these upsetting anyone's skin by any chance?

I have found some irritate my hands, but others don't.
I always wash them off really thoroughly as soon as I get through the door at home.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

13-09-2020, 06:04 PM

Talking of sanitisers, whether it be wipes, gells or sprays, are all these upsetting anyone's skin by any chance?

I have found some irritate my hands, but others don't.
I always wash them off really thoroughly as soon as I get through the door at home.
Yes. I found that, by sanitising everywhere I went, if it was provided, my hands became reddened and felt chapped, so I've restricted hand sanitiser to my own preference, which I carry with me:

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-09-2020, 06:14 PM

That's interesting Omah, it's not just me then.
I have taken to wearing disposable gloves a lot more now because of this.
That's worth knowing about the Nivea though. Thank you.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 06:15 PM

I know that disposable masks are causing a litter problem around here, going by the number that people have thrown on the floor.

I suppose we are likely to have our fair share of irresponsible yobs, though.

All I can say is that I find it just as convenient to throw such things in the bin.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 06:32 PM

I've been using a disposable for the last three weeks now...It smells of aftershave....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

13-09-2020, 06:32 PM

That's interesting Omah, it's not just me then.
I have taken to wearing disposable gloves a lot more now because of this.
That's worth knowing about the Nivea though. Thank you.

It costs about £2.50 normally but Home Bargains sell it for £1.49. Home Bargains also sell many others at reasonable prices.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
It costs about £2.50 normally but Home Bargains sell it for £1.49. Home Bargains also sell many others at reasonable prices.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top