Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 06:25 PM

Re: dashcam

Great. That sounds straightforward.

Thanks again, Realist.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's great. Thanks very much.

My wife's at work at the moment with the camera in the car, but I'll have a look at it when she gets home.

Does the 'Low Light' setting make a lot of difference at night?

I don't know if this will be relevant to your camera JBR but mine suggests a video resolution of 2304x1296 for use during the day and 1920x1080 for use at night.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't know if this will be relevant to your camera JBR but mine suggests a video resolution of 2304x1296 for use during the day and 1920x1080 for use at night.
I'm afraid that mine doesn't feature 2304x1296. 1920x1080 is the highest resolution it has. Nevertheless, the images produced seem to be good enough to read car number plates at a reasonable distance, which is the important thing.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Not sure how resolution will impact the video in different light conditions. 1920x1080 is full HD which is more than adequate for footage and number plate identification. Higher resolutions mean larger file sizes which in turn means less hours recorded before the camera starts looping.

I have read on a different site that lowering the Frame Rate will help in low light situations. The theory being that a lower frame rate means more time for light to enter the lens.
I'm going to give that a go and experiment as the Mobius allows frame rates of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Not sure how resolution will impact the video in different light conditions. 1920x1080 is full HD which is more than adequate for footage and number plate identification. Higher resolutions mean larger file sizes which in turn means less hours recorded before the camera starts looping.

I have read on a different site that lowering the Frame Rate will help in low light situations. The theory being that a lower frame rate means more time for light to enter the lens.
I'm going to give that a go and experiment as the Mobius allows frame rates of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps.
Maybe because the higher resolution if used at night won't be of any benefit because of limited contrast and light levels? Haven't tried this myself yet because of the lower video transfer rate on my old memory card which restricted my resolution choice. When been out and about using my new MC I'll let you know the results.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

20-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on the thread but of late I've started using this program to watch my playbacks.

http://www.registratorviewer.com/download_en.html

Better than the effort supplied with my dashcam and if your camera has GPS it displays a map of your route too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 11:33 PM

I just use VLC Player. Pretty much a standard free download tool used by everyone
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-05-2017, 12:10 AM

This Mobius camera can play back its recordings perfectly well on the included Windows video viewing software.

As for my RoadHawk dashcam, I'm afraid its recordings are in ub1 format (whatever that might be). I find it inconvenient because, although they will play back using the downloaded RoadHawk software, I can find no way of converting the videos to common formats like mpg or avi, which an insurance company would prefer.

Having compared the two, I have to say that the Mobius videos are far superior in clarity and detail compared to those of the RoadHawk although, admittedly, mine is quite old now and has been superseded by more recent and presumably higher quality cameras by the same manufacturer.

Although the Mobius camera doesn't include GPS, as does the RoadHawk, I have decided to get a Mobius camera for my car as well on the grounds that the image quality provides much clearer detail for the purpose of identification, especially number plate details.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Realist

I tried out the Mobius dash cam in my car today.

The pictures are excellent; far superior detail quality than my old RoadHawk camera. Number plates are easily read, which is the most important thing.

The only thing I found slightly worrying was that the heat sinks became very hot - too hot to touch, really, although it was a hot day today. This was for a journey of less than one hour overall, with four breaks. (We were looking at kitchen places.)

I expected to find very hot heat sinks if using the battery, but was led to believe that with capacitors there would be much less heat output. That's what the online information says, anyway.

Still, if that's accounted for in the design and the thing doesn't burst into flame on a protracted journey, that's OK I suppose!

I was wondering if you'd noticed the high temperature, Realist.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

28-05-2017, 08:38 AM

I tried out the Mobius dash cam in my car today.

The pictures are excellent; far superior detail quality than my old RoadHawk camera. Number plates are easily read, which is the most important thing.
Yep it's quality footage and that's because it is HD quality.

The only thing I found slightly worrying was that the heat sinks became very hot
Yes they do get hot in usage but the heat sinks should effectively dissipate the heat. I had thought like yourself, that use of capacitors might lower he heat but I guess not.
With batteries, using the device as a dashcam would have reduced their life.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top