Join for free
Page 73 of 79 « First < 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 > Last »
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 01:52 AM

Re: What do you remember???

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
It hasn't been manufactured for the last 50 years Marian, or haven't you been reading those stories properly?

I remember those navy blue knickers as part of our school uniform. Who wore a gymslip and carried a satchel to school?

I loved my lickle liberty bodice with the rubber buttons as it kept my lickle chest warm in the winter, but it stunk rotten when mummy rubbed our chests with Wintergreen to keep us from catching colds. It worked as well!
ha ha I know Mollie, was joking!! Couldn't I pinch a bit of Crusty's, he wouldn't miss it!!

I remember wearing a gymslip to school, actually liked it! and also a satchel.

Can't say I had a liberty bodice though or even Wintergreen
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
ha ha I know Mollie, was joking!! Couldn't I pinch a bit of Crusty's, he wouldn't miss it!!

I remember wearing a gymslip to school, actually liked it! and also a satchel.

Can't say I had a liberty bodice though or even Wintergreen
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 09:35 AM

I remember Mum putting money away every week for the Coal,Electricity,Pop-man etc in a box like this...Pre Direct Debit days.........

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Knickers? they were bloomers
Uncle Joe, when we had those type of funerals back then everybody showed their respect, but not these days, I have seen a coffin in the back of an hearse doing 80 MPH on the M1.
Back on thread, do you remember the ointments we had etc.
Bread poultice for boils, Zambuk Fullers earth ointment, Brazillican Iodex, Iodine, Menthol and eucalyptus, Friars Belsam
Sal volatile,Quinine, smelling salts and the good old syrup of figs, not forgetting Dock leaves which we still use today.
Sorry if any of these have already been mentioned.
Yes Arthur I remember all of those and one other too - Gentian Violet!!! The Chemist at the end of our road was brilliant - made his own cough medicine - which contained Tincture of Morphine and Ipicacuana - neither of which ingredients can one get anymore.
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 10:05 AM

Don't forget mercurochrome, that was good too! Banned now. We used soap and sugar for boils. Soft soap grated and mixed with sugar placed on boil and bandaged. We used to get Senega and Ammonia Cough medicine from the Chemist, can still get it too. Mixed with some very warm water!
Do the ladies remember underwear called gorgeous gussies? They were not cotton, like everyday wear but made of a silky type of material with lots of lace decorated the back of the bloomers, bloomers here were called Bombay Bloomers, don't know why!
My school sandwiches from home (we never had hot dinners at school) often contained leftover mashed potato/beans/pumpkin from the night before's tea.
We had rope petticoats too! Lots of starch as well.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Oh lol, I remember those awful navy blue knickers, didn't have any with pockets in though. Why would you have a pocket in your knickers!?!

Also had a gymslip and carried a satchel - I loved my satchel.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Yes I had a gymslip and wore a purple sash. This was to show I was in Bronte House, our secondary modern girls' school was divided into four houses. Do you know ........... I still have my school satchel in the loft, real leather one and some of my school work.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 03:57 PM

I wore a gymslip to school with a pale blue sash ......I was in Severn House, our grammar school was divided into 4 Houses - Severn, Avon, Cotswold and Mendip.

I also had a much beloved leather satchel, they were so well made in those days that they lasted for years
My pet hate was the navy blue velour hat I had to wear. If anyone was caught not wearing their hat outside school, they would get a detention
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
The way I felt most days about my dodgy clothes particularly those nasty bloomers and on top of that a liberty bodice with rubber buttons,, I would gladly have flown my mum on the flag pole. She insisted that I wore these atrosities.
Yes I remember wearing liberty bodices in my primary school days and having to do gym in navy blue knickers for the first two years at senior school.
One had to reach third year before one was allowed to wear gym shorts
What I can remember hating most of all when I was a youngster was my mother giving me a spoonful of codliver oil everyday.
How I loathed the stuff and even thinking about it makes me feel sick
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 05:05 PM

I hated everything about my school uniform, the soft collar on my blouse wouldn't 'go right' with the tie, when we got to the 4th year we wore boys' shirts instead just for the stiffened collar. My short white socks were made of cotton I think, no elasticity in them, take ten steps and they'd work their way down the back of my heels and into my shoe, forever pulling them up. But, I love cod liver oil, I take a daily capsule now and bite into it to get the taste.

Page 73 of 79 « First < 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top