Join for free
Page 74 of 79 « First < 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 > Last »
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Re: What do you remember???

Originally Posted by maryl ->
I love cod liver oil, I take a daily capsule now and bite into it to get the taste.
Oh no you must be joking
The thought makes me feel ill
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
Yes I remember wearing liberty bodices in my primary school days and having to do gym in navy blue knickers for the first two years at senior school.
One had to reach third year before one was allowed to wear gym shorts
What I can remember hating most of all when I was a youngster was my mother giving me a spoonful of codliver oil everyday.
How I loathed the stuff and even thinking about it makes me feel sick
Norma darlin' - I remember Cod Liver oil too - we had ours on a spoon from a great big jar of Cod Liver Oil and Malt - Dragon had us kids (my two Sisters and I) line up every morning for our daily dose, even the cat was allowed to lick the spoon afterwards.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 05:57 PM

The one with malt was heavenly wasn't it? We had ours in primary school, all lined up in the little playground. The teacher used the same big spoon for the lot of us.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
But, I love cod liver oil, I take a daily capsule now and bite into it to get the taste.
I used to love Cod Liver Oil as well. I couldn't get enough of it
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 06:45 PM

We used to be given Virol [a malty substance] minidex [a vile thick orange tasting stuff] and syrup of figs every Friday [constipated or not] .Yuk .
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
It hasn't been manufactured for the last 50 years Marian, or haven't you been reading those stories properly?

I remember those navy blue knickers as part of our school uniform. Who wore a gymslip and carried a satchel to school?

I loved my lickle liberty bodice with the rubber buttons as it kept my lickle chest warm in the winter, but it stunk rotten when mummy rubbed our chests with Wintergreen to keep us from catching colds. It worked as well!
Pleased to know that I am not the only one who remembers liberty bodices. They were fleecey lined. Didn't have the wintergreen but great dollops of Virol, Haliborange tablets thankfully took over from codliver oil.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2012, 12:55 PM

I remember 'Wintergreen' too - it was one of the ingredients in either Sloan's linament or Goddards Horse Linament - anyone else remember those???
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Wintergreen was great stuff
I loved Virol too which tasted of malt and oranges.

Wintergreen made me think of Snowfire chilblain treatment, people don't seem to get chilblains these days
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Grandad used to use Horse Linnament for his back. We used to have to line up for Cod liver oil and malt at school and we had all injections at school and queued up for the nit nurse. Also when the manchester blitz was on we only went to school half day, one week mornings the next afternoon.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2012, 10:49 PM

Oh no!!! The cod liver oil.......used to hold my nose whilst taking it, then a spoon of jam to take away the awful taste.

Page 74 of 79 « First < 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top