Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Re: 2012 What's it going to be like?

Originally Posted by suey ->
All I am looking forward to is hanging up my work jacket so I just hope I make it to retirement in 2019 a way to go yet as the goverment keep deciding to move the goalposts I suppose I am wishing my life away but I too like the simple things in life I am looking forward to my daughters (only child) wedding in 2014 so 2012 is just another stepping stone in life.. Enjoy every minute and don't let them get you down .....
Sue it must be annoying to be one of those trapped by the new pension rulings . The wedding is something to look forward to though isn't it and having a Schnauzer helps to keep one fit
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

02-01-2012, 07:25 PM

All this doom and gloom hurts, have to be positive.

This year abounds with good fortune for everyone. 'Call me Dave' has told us in his new years presidential address that he gets it and all our pain is over.

In the meantime Mr Ed Milliband says he is not Tony Blair.

David has promised to use the "global drama" of the Olympics and "glory" of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee to help get us and Britain "up to strength".

In the meantime Mr Milliband says he is not Tony Blair.

The Prime Minister went on to say, "This will be the year Britain sees the world and the world sees Britain". Quite where that leaves my rising deficit I am not too certain but we know that DC is a man of substance and keeps his promises, and of course, we are all in it together.

In the meantime Mr Milliband says he is not Tony Blair.

On a personal note, I have resolved to provide a suitable home for Monty and his ever increasing family and to double my efforts to bring about a total amnesty for all Krill, those lovers of the loathsome prawn cocktail can enjoy their odious pursuits whilst they may but take heed their days are numbered.

The crustacia will rise from their beds of wilted lettuce and the devil take the hindmost.

Happy New Year.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Oh Hammer, that is so so funny
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
The crustacia will rise from their beds of wilted lettuce and the devil take the hindmost.
Happy New Year.
And a (belated) Happy New Year to you

Regarding that last paragraph, I assume you are a Sci-Fi fan
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-01-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Regarding that last paragraph, I assume you are a Sci-Fi fan
Sorry to say Harvey it was my appalling spelling.
It should have read crustacea not as I wrote it, I cannot even blame a bad education as I did not have one.
I still don't like spell checkers, far too easy.

The plight of the Krill is though very real and goes on and on, rather like me really.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 05:34 PM

George my friend, I heard a news item recently wherein an American species of shrimps (bigger and more voracious) are inhabiting our rivers and streams and decimating our own European species of shrimps. As a fisherman, I presume you know all about this.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 07:54 PM

Do you mean the American crayfish Uncle Joe?
They are a threat to our native crayfish as they are larger and they carry a crayfish disease that our native crayfish are not immune to.
A few years ago anglers where encouraged to kill any they came across.
Don't know if things have improved at all as it is a few years ago that I read about them.
I think we can class them as aliens though.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
George my friend, I heard a news item recently wherein an American species of shrimps (bigger and more voracious) are inhabiting our rivers and streams and decimating our own European species of shrimps. As a fisherman, I presume you know all about this.
UJ,
I am not a fisherman but maybe you are thinking of the Dikerogammarus villosus, otherwise known as the killer shrimp.

These are indeed a rather nasty branch of the species, they are a long way from the good friends - Meganyctiphanes Norvegica - that I have spoken of and appealed for many times on these pages.

You are quite correct though, these herberts are a voracious predator and will kill not only shrimps but insects, small fish and even shellfish. Often they do not eat their victims.

It is thought that they got in our waters after being discovered in the Lower reaches of the Caspian and Black Seas and was believed to have first escaped from the Danube back in 1992 and made their way here.
The method of transportation is not very clear but shipping would seem to be the most likeliest carrier although I read somewhere that some anglers use inflatables to fish on rivers and these are being banned just in case.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
UJ,
I am not a fisherman but maybe you are thinking of the Dikerogammarus villosus, otherwise known as the killer shrimp.

These are indeed a rather nasty branch of the species, they are a long way from the good friends - Meganyctiphanes Norvegica - that I have spoken of and appealed for many times on these pages.

You are quite correct though, these herberts are a voracious predator and will kill not only shrimps but insects, small fish and even shellfish. Often they do not eat their victims.

It is thought that they got in our waters after being discovered in the Lower reaches of the Caspian and Black Seas and was believed to have first escaped from the Danube back in 1992 and made their way here.
The method of transportation is not very clear but shipping would seem to be the most likeliest carrier although I read somewhere that some anglers use inflatables to fish on rivers and these are being banned just in case.
With big names like them Hammer I thought you were on a joking roll
Then I find there really is such a beast.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

08-01-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
With big names like them Hammer I thought you were on a joking roll
Then I find there really is such a beast.
Ahh, you see I kid you not.
I quite see why when I got much the same reaction when I offered my paper on the String theory which as everyone knows is a framework in particle physics. For that I got the order of the TOE.
I thought it was the 'theory of everything' but it had a boot on the end of it.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top