Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 04:35 PM

Need some Advice Please.

I was given an old Coffee Table that I'd admired for ages, it sat in a friends shed as they never used it. It's a very heavy solid thing and it took the 2 of us to load it in the car and again to get it into my house. Problem is I can't get it to shine up no matter how much I polish it. I bought a bottle of very expensive colour restorer and scratch remover. I did as it said on the bottle but it's still got this dull finish any one got any ideas? I'm all out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 04:47 PM

Re: Need some Advice Please.

Hi Raven do you know what wood it is made of, is it solid wood or a coated veneer ?

I don't think there is an easy way to get a good shine on wood.
I have sanded wood back to the bare wood then built up the shine in coats with a top quality wax polish like Briwax Clear to produce a shine.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 04:47 PM

What is the table made of, Oak, Walnut or what?

You could try Vineger and turpintine mixed together, using a soft cloth try damping it in the solution and try rubbing it into a small area for about 5 mins then dry it off and notice it the area is brighter than the reat of the table.

Use kitchen gloves to protect your hands
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 05:31 PM

A good wax polish like antique furniture polish, put it on and rubinto the wood and then polish it off, its hard work but does wonder for depression, not that I think you have it, its what I do when I have it.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 05:32 PM

I don't know what wood it's made of, it's a dark colour could be Mahognay, I'm not really sure. It looks very like this but minus the shine.

maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 05:59 PM

I've taken things back to the bare wood, then stained it and brought up the shine with a tin of beeswax and plenty of soft cotton rags.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 06:00 PM

I don't think you'll get the shine up to that in your picture, is that a bit of french polishing there?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by White Raven ->
I don't know what wood it's made of, it's a dark colour could be Mahognay, I'm not really sure. It looks very like this but minus the shine.

That looks like a vaneer inlay so the mixture I told you to use should bring back the shine.

ps, I forgot to say add a bit of light oil to the mixture something like Lemon oil.
White Raven

17-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Ok I'll get the sleeves rolled up again tomorrow in the daylight ....Thankyou all. Fingers crossed eh.
White Raven

17-01-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
I don't think you'll get the shine up to that in your picture, is that a bit of french polishing there?
I don't know lol. That's just a pic I found on Google when I went looking for a table like the one I got, to show you. I'm pretty sure the top is solid wood on mine though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top