Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 03:24 PM

Friends

The idea was instigated by one of Joes comments.

We all have 'Friends' or are they merely aquaintances.
Most people on OFFers are friendly to a degree and help each other out on occaisions.
But, what is a friend?

Someone who has the tendency to desire what is best for the other

Trust in one another

Honesty, to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the faults of one's counterpart

Ability to go to each other for emotional support

Enjoyment of each other's company

A relationship based on equal give-and-take between the two parties.

Sympathy and empathy

I have two such good friends who at the drop of a hat will be by my side through anything, yet I have lots of people who I call friends who will help me out from time to time but would they be by my side in emmergencies?

What is your opinion and do you honetly have many friends?
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Re: Friends

I have 2 friends I can depend on, I also have a friend that would phone me but I have not set eyes on in over 8 years as they live 5 hours away. I just have a small group and I like it that way,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 04:34 PM

AB I was once told 'a friend is someone who knows everything about you and still like you' .

Due to my 'nomadic' life I never had chance to make many close friends but that suits me fine , I am very self contained
My best friend as so often happens split with her husband and as I was friends with both of them the friendship sort of fizzled out. It is almost as though when a marriage ends some people like to distance themselves from their past lives.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 05:38 PM

I have a truly dear friend that I can and have depended upon in a crisis. I know that she would go to the ends of the earth for me and I for her. I have two other close friends but would not depend on them like I would my best friend.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 07:09 PM

I have one special friend, a person I can talk to about everything...and quite a few friends, who I see from time to time...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 08:15 PM

I dont have friends mostly aquantances, as like Meg I have moved about a lot all my life.I am an only child so have always been on my own.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 11:01 PM

I have two close friends, in fact the three of us are close friends together. We are always there for each other, day or night. They are both totally trustworthy and reliable, and we speak every day to see that all is well.

Also have a couple of other friends, who I see every now and again.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 03:46 PM

I think your "definitions" of friendship are pretty good, AB. I have one very close friend who ticks all the boxes, even though she lives in UK and I am in Ireland. Another two good friends but not as close. And a number of aquaintances whose company I enjoy but with whom I would not be happy to share everything.
I'm not a very social person, happy in my own company, and so don't actively seek friendship. But I value my closest friend possibly more than anything else in this world.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 12:19 AM

My very bestest friend in all the world is my friend Sylvia, whom I met when I first started working for a solicitors' office in Wigan at the age 16.

We couldn't be separated at one time but, for the last 10 years or so, she's lived on a Greek island, so I rarely see her any longer.

My other friends from school days (no nursery days) I see very little of, and that's partly my own fault but, if I needed to see them, they'd be here for me.

True friends don't come along very often. Gosh, I've had many acquaintances in my time, and I've probably met 1000s of people, but only three have ever been true friends.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 08:28 AM

The question is folks would you drop everything and go to a friends help immediately?
My best man did for me once and we returned the compliament twice when he had his heart attacks. They live in Troon now so it is not like going to the next street.
If he live at opposite sides of the world we would do the same for each other. Some friends are more than family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top