Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 08:28 PM

The Plan

I am devious in my planning. No mercy will be shown. I've done this before.

Ok, have I got your attention yet? Hear is The Plan. My sister lives 3,000 miles on the other side of the United States. We couldn't be much farther apart and still both be inside the continental borders.

I haven't seen my sister, Barbara, in over 4 years since I had to move to Oregon on the West coast to take a job. We are, & have always been, very close. I 've kept in touch via email, Facebook & phone. She lost her husband, Joe, only a few months ago. We were all devastated.

I'm turning 62 in May and plan on officially retiring and beginning drawing my Social Security checks. I'm cashing in a number of accounts such as 401k retirement plans and cashing out on one of my 3 pensions. All this money, over $42,000, is in the mail on its way to my bank account.

My sister turns 72 on August 10th, three months after I retire. My plan is to knock on her front door and announce "Happy Birthday Sis"! It will involve a 6,000 mile round trip on a train that will take 6 days to make the journey. It will deposit me very close to where my sister lives and there's a motel less than a mile away. One call and I'll have a rental car agency pick me up for a two day rental. I'll have two whole days to spend with Barb after the shock of my arrival.

There will be much hugging and crying as she has no clue I'm doing this. I'll be traveling with my computer and cellphone so I can keep in touch with her without her ever getting the idea that I'm at her front door. What fun!

Oh, did I mention I'll be carrying all my camera gear to record this epic journey? This is going to be a blast. Come on August!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 09:06 PM

Re: The Plan

Good Luck Bobmeilke - Sounds like you will see a lot of the USA and be able to take a lot of photographs. I would think your sister will be very surprised and happy to see you. Will you travel back by train as well, or catch a plane.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Good Luck Bobmeilke - Sounds like you will see a lot of the USA and be able to take a lot of photographs. I would think your sister will be very surprised and happy to see you. Will you travel back by train as well, or catch a plane.
All my traveling will be done by bus in both directions. It was considerably cheaper than by train.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 10:48 PM

Good Luck Bob.
I hope it all turns out right for you.

When you phone your sister on your journey be careful about back ground noise.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

05-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Good Luck Bob.
I hope it all turns out right for you.

When you phone your sister on your journey be careful about back ground noise.
I may wait for a bus stop or lunch break. Good idea.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Good luck Bob, what a lovely surprise that will be for your sister..
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

She is lucky to have such a brother as you Bob. Good luck on your travels and bring us back some brilliant photos.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Way to go Bob, give your sis a big hug from me too!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Good luck Bob - what a great birthday surprise for your Sister........
bobmielke
Portland, OR

06-01-2011, 10:16 PM

It will also be an exciting 6 day vacation for me while traveling across the entire United States which I have done twice by bus in my life and oce by driving a rental truck across the country 4 years ago. If the bus trip itself is enjoyable I may do more such trips to Yellowstone Park, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top