Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:02 AM

Re: Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

30 years ago a friend who was a single mother of 4 told me her house could be repossed, the bank had written to her as she was £300 in debt with her mortgage , could never pay it back etc. I took most of my savings out , handed her the money , told her to pay the mortgage debt and pay me back when she could as one day her future would change for the better

She married and her life certainly turned for the better , she lived in a big house with a big income . My life changed for the worse not long after and life was a struggle .

She has never offered me my money back , and i would never ask , i truly believe she has forgotten my kindness , it never entered her head .

I could never have stood back and watched her loose her home with those small kids , yet i can still get annoyed at myself for being foolish .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:47 AM

I really don't know how these people sleep at night .
Shameless betrayal of a friends generosity.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:34 AM

I've lent knowing it's giving before, no point expecting it back. I've borrowed too but always paid it back first chance I got, something not quite right there but my conscience won't let me walk away without paying back.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:49 AM

My daughter came running to me, telling me tales of hardship, going to get evicted as she owed rent, can't pay electricity bill etc and can I "lend" her £2000.

OK, it's my daughter and grandchildren so....I lent it to her. To be honest I didn't expect to get it back and if she'd made any attempt to repay it I would have told her to forget it.

But....a few days later I found out she didn't need it for bills but had in fact gone to Blackpool and blown the lot in 4 days. And the way I found out was that she phoned me and asked me to send her another £200 as she was skint.

The money I lent her was the last bit of cash we had and meant we didn't get a holiday that year so when I found out she'd blown it in slot machines you can understand why I was a bit miffed.

Never again. Not even for family. At least not my family.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:50 AM

Oh gosh
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
My daughter came running to me, telling me tales of hardship, going to get evicted as she owed rent, can't pay electricity bill etc and can I "lend" her £2000.

OK, it's my daughter and grandchildren so....I lent it to her. To be honest I didn't expect to get it back and if she'd made any attempt to repay it I would have told her to forget it.

But....a few days later I found out she didn't need it for bills but had in fact gone to Blackpool and blown the lot in 4 days. And the way I found out was that she phoned me and asked me to send her another £200 as she was skint.

The money I lent her was the last bit of cash we had and meant we didn't get a holiday that year so when I found out she'd blown it in slot machines you can understand why I was a bit miffed.

Never again. Not even for family. At least not my family.
That is more than taking the P***, WOW I'd have had more than a few words with her if that had been my daughter.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
That is more than taking the P***, WOW I'd have had more than a few words with her if that had been my daughter.
Yeah, not a lot of love lost there I must say. I get the last laugh though because I've just changed my will so my kids get left a specific amount of money instead of a percentage, with the rest going to charities.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 12:01 PM

Two sad stories.

Susan and Nicol it was sad to read your experiences. It is upsetting when family or close friends do this.
Of course they haven't forgotten.
Anymore then either of you.

I never lend anymore, I give if I can, that way I am no longer upset when it is not repaid.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 12:01 PM

Yeah, not a lot of love lost there I must say. I get the last laugh though because I've just changed my will so my kids get left a specific amount of money instead of a percentage, with the rest going to charities.
I like the way your thinking.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Oh Nicol I am sorry.
Your kids should be spoiling you now, not causing you grief.
Hugs sent.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top