Join for free
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Deadwood

Just finished watching the box set of this TV series which aired between 2004-2006.
It's set in 1870 after the Anerican Civil War with characters based on many of those around at the time and the set pieces are very authentic.

The great Ian McShane plays the part of the lead character with a great cast featuring Powers Booth and Timothy Olyphant amongst others.

Beware though, it's very violent with much bad language. But what a great series.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Re: Deadwood

I watched all of that as it was aired, I'm shocked at how long ago it was on.

But yes, excellent series, Ian McShane was quite an eye opener after Lovejoy
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 09:10 PM

Nicol, they have made a new one-off extended episode which is set 10 years later to tie up some loose ends. All the cast return except for Powers Booth who died last year.
Should be on TV around April 2019.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 09:47 PM

That's interesting Floydy, because when the series ended, I thought it was a bit unexplained, and not very clear. It's certainly one of the best authentic westerns ever made. I loved all the characters,E B Farnham, Mr Woo, Al of course, the sheriff, and Wild Bill Hickok. Loved the scene where Wild Bill and his mate were looking for a room in EB's hotel. When they were told it was full, EB says, "Well why don't you go and shoot a couple of guests!"
Great stuff.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-12-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
That's interesting Floydy, because when the series ended, I thought it was a bit unexplained, and not very clear. It's certainly one of the best authentic westerns ever made. I loved all the characters,E B Farnham, Mr Woo, Al of course, the sheriff, and Wild Bill Hickok. Loved the scene where Wild Bill and his mate were looking for a room in EB's hotel. When they were told it was full, EB says, "Well why don't you go and shoot a couple of guests!"
Great stuff.
Haha yes, I remember that and Al Swearenger's dialogue is classic writing. The ending disappointed me and as I read on IMDB after I'd watched that "final" episode it was because there was some kind of mix-up with programme planning that there were no more seasons.
Very much looking forward to the new TV film version though.

By the way, my next box set will be Justified. It's six seasons and is about two U.S. marshalls in Montana who are rivals. Had some good write-ups and stars Timothy Olyphant, the sherriff as you mentioned from Deadwood, along with a great actor called Walton Goggins (The Shield, Breaking Bad and numerous Quentin tarantino films). I'll start that next week.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Nicol, they have made a new one-off extended episode which is set 10 years later to tie up some loose ends. All the cast return except for Powers Booth who died last year.
Should be on TV around April 2019.
Just watched it Floydy tonight on Sky Atlantic. It's been 13 years since the TV series finished, and this one off, tells the story as it all ends up. All the main characters are back, obviously looking a bit more worn around the edges. It's ok, but does lack the power of the original series. I know you don't have access to Sky, but I'm not sure whether you would want to seek this one out. It just reminds me of a remake of a classic movie, that does'nt quite come up to snuff.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top