Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Re: Football

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Sorry Cate, but I can't think of anything more banal and nonsensical than football. The hysteria generated by 22 big girl's blouses chasing after a pig's bladder is absolutely ridiculous. They say sport brings people together, but I can think of few things more tribal and divisive as football. And as for the idiots that spend half their wages going to the game so that their "heroes" can as good as win the lottery every week, don't even ask me what I think...
No need to apologise there plantman. Thankfully we are all different. I have quite strong views on team sports, I think they should teach our youngsters the importance of pulling together, not being selfish, and learning a few of life's lessons like it ain't always fair. Infact I wish my youngest son had chosen to play football, cricket or some other team game.

However, the professional game has sunk pretty low as more and more clubs get more and more money. I certainly don't agree with you that the people who go to matches are idiots as that would include me and yes indeed some of these young rascals are indeed my heroes, so I must disagree there.

It made me smile to read your post, as my friend's son is in hospital in Manchester and both of the Manc teams pop in to see the children. I have just asked a sick child to ask on my behalf for a signed photo when the Man U team pop in. I had to bribe him a little as he is a Man City supporter but it has caused him to laugh and he has met one or two heroes already.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Cate, we have similar rivalry here between Bristol Rovers and Bristol City .... maybe not as much as the bigger clubs but you always get more than your fair share of trouble makers there.

I'm sure half of them go just to cause trouble and are not really interested in the game.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Cate, we have similar rivalry here between Bristol Rovers and Bristol City .... maybe not as much as the bigger clubs but you always get more than your fair share of trouble makers there.

I'm sure half of them go just to cause trouble and are not really interested in the game.
Spot on, if they were there as fans they would not want to endanger the freedom that fans have, they also would not want anyone injured. There is so much mindless vandalism and violence taking place in other areas you must be right these people just want a bit of bovver.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Unfortunately it's not just the fans who inflame situations these days is it? Players and even officials seem to be getting involved, not good for the sport at all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top