Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 08:55 AM

Re: New garage doors

With Bruce on that one, the new ones look rather industrial.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Taken in daylight

Bruce

if you had to swing them open and put a wedge to stop them shutting, or struggle to bolt them because the wood warped between top and bottom, I think you might just change your mind.

With these a car does not have to leave a big opening area gap and the wind catches them quite badly. If you actually saw how bad they were when shut anyone could have broken in as well.

The Henderson door on the right was giving lock trouble as well.Henderson went out of business quite a few years ago so replacement parts are hard to get
No these new ones have eliminated all that

Sue is going to do a bit of painting on the uprigghts today and after a couple of coates will look even better
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:13 AM

I think they look great, we had a remote door fitted a couple of years back just after I had the roof done ( fiberglassed) and its sooo much easier to press a button and just drive in without getting soaked if its raining, one thing though, if you have an emergency opening, usually a piece of cord hanging down , tie it back with a cable tie or two,as thieves have been known to force their way through the plastic at the top and open the door via the pull cord,( yours may be different so ignore if it is)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 11:00 AM

Alan
that has all changed now. You need to get hold of the long handle to do that and to get to the handle you would have to get in first which we are keeping elsewhere.

Like most things products improve and of course what they cost.

I have a feeling that now these electric doors are installed it must have increased the house value somewhat as well
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 11:00 AM

An automatic garage door is on my 'would really like but not sure if the outlay could be justified' list. I was pleasantly surpised by the cost of yours ... perhaps we should just do it?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-02-2016, 11:07 AM

My wife has corrected me on price sorry they were about £2500, the smaller one £900.
Don't forget the larger one had to be specially made as well as a new frame etc which cost a lot more.

So recon on about £1000 and you should get some change on a standard size door

Remember different companies charge different prices and as well as the quality of the doors themselves.

No doubt you could get cheaper ones without alarms and no remote, it depends on your budget.

We went for top of the range so cost a bit more
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 11:10 AM

They look really good Realspeed....I dont have a garage at all let alone two lol
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Aysa

I an chuffed to bits with them after having to struggle with the old ones. We have been meaning to have them changed since we moved in.

In real terms they cost us nothing as we had allowed a huge amount of cash put one side for capital gains tax when we sold our business. The tax man only wanted a small fraction of it. They time lapse was due to when the tax demand eventually came through over a year after we moved. There is/was even enough left over to pay for 2 cruises which are now booked and paid for.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Alan
that has all changed now. You need to get hold of the long handle to do that and to get to the handle you would have to get in first which we are keeping elsewhere.

Like most things products improve and of course what they cost.

I have a feeling that now these electric doors are installed it must have increased the house value somewhat as well
I guess it depends on the type of door, ours is a sectional door is yours roller?, but as long as its secure that's all that matters
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Yes roller ones

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top