Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 01:29 PM

Re: Cistern overflow!

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
No wonder you've been Evicted from Myrtle's garden....I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner !
Not sure I understand this post.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 02:18 PM

This sounds like the same problem I had with my modern flush toilets and it's very common TBH. The symptom was water constantly trickling into the pan after flushing.

The cause was simply the flush mechanism which amounts to just a metal cable behind the push button. When you push the flush button the cable moves a lever down in the gubbins inside the reservoir. That cable and the lever just get gunked up over time. The lever has a spring on it which is supposed to bring the lever back into position when you release the flush button but when the cable gets a bit rusty and gunked up that spring isn't strong enough and so the lever stays partly in the open position which means water keeps trickling into the pan.

The fix was really very simple, for me at least. The "gubbins" in the reservoir was just a plastic cylinder which was removed with a simple twist. The cap came off revealing the point where the flush cable met the plastic lever. You could press the flush button and see the lever move and make a central piece of the mechanism rise and fall. I just cleaned the lever and cable end, sprayed some WD40 in there, added a little bit of grease so it moved easily, and then I added a small weight to the central moving piece that went up and down. That fixed the problem. To be fair you could probably achieve the fix just by putting the weight on the moving part so that it always shuts off the water.

These modern flush systems are quite tickle really but they look neater than the old crank handles of course.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Depends which push flush mechanism it has, some don't use a cable.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 02:28 PM

That's all very interesting and educational Realist but does not answer the question posed by Honey
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
That's all very interesting and educational Realist but does not answer the question posed by Honey
Think she may have drowned.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Not sure I understand this post.
I understood it straight away.

People post their location which helps other people understand where they are coming from . Their countries and their locations.

Your location does not help any one.

Please change it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This sounds like the same problem I had with my modern flush toilets and it's very common TBH. The symptom was water constantly trickling into the pan after flushing.

The cause was simply the flush mechanism which amounts to just a metal cable behind the push button. When you push the flush button the cable moves a lever down in the gubbins inside the reservoir. That cable and the lever just get gunked up over time. The lever has a spring on it which is supposed to bring the lever back into position when you release the flush button but when the cable gets a bit rusty and gunked up that spring isn't strong enough and so the lever stays partly in the open position which means water keeps trickling into the pan.

The fix was really very simple, for me at least. The "gubbins" in the reservoir was just a plastic cylinder which was removed with a simple twist. The cap came off revealing the point where the flush cable met the plastic lever. You could press the flush button and see the lever move and make a central piece of the mechanism rise and fall. I just cleaned the lever and cable end, sprayed some WD40 in there, added a little bit of grease so it moved easily, and then I added a small weight to the central moving piece that went up and down. That fixed the problem. To be fair you could probably achieve the fix just by putting the weight on the moving part so that it always shuts off the water.

These modern flush systems are quite tickle really but they look neater than the old crank handles of course.
Being a retired Plumber that makes no sense if fact its RUBBISH
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Being a retired Plumber that makes no sense if fact its RUBBISH
Doubtless flush mechanisms have moved on since you were a plumber. The mechanisms in my units are quite basic TBH but equally they are poor quality I think.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

22-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Doubtless flush mechanisms have moved on since you were a plumber. The mechanisms in my units are quite basic TBH but equally they are poor quality I think.

Yes quality has taken a dive in the fact you don't repair a ballvalve now adays you buy a new one for ten times the price but labour figure is still about the same
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2016, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I understood it straight away.

People post their location which helps other people understand where they are coming from . Their countries and their locations.

Your location does not help any one.

Please change it.
My location has nothing to do with you or anyone else, you will know what I want you to know, not what you want to know.

I would have been a little more polite if you hadn't asked me to abide by your rules.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top