Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 07:57 PM

conservatory replacement

This is ours and the wood is rotting in places. Whoever installed it used soft wood, why I guess for cheapness .

This is ours. Had a local firm around to quote for a complete replacement of our conservatory from the dwarf wall up. We initially sought a quote from one of the big companies which was a waste of time. The salesman went on about how big the company was- how long in business etc and would you believe where the sand came from used in making the windows ( who d**n well cares?). After the first 15 minutes Sue and I got really bored and wished he would just measure up and give us a quote. After an hour plus he gave us a quote by which time we were nearly asleep. Needless to say waving ta ta from the front door was a joy to behold. Which company? Anglian window company seeing you are interested.

Today the local company owner came and what a difference, a friend recommend them. Different? I should say so, no faffing about just straight to what we wanted to know and he gave some good advice, with hints and tips. Needless to say we have placed an order with him to carry out the work and he didn't even want a deposit.

He recons to do the work start in about 6 weeks time which suits us. Oh and as for price the same more or less as the national company with all their selling gimmick discounts.

Yes we did check on customer reviews on the big companies and some local ones as well and this firm has a god reputation, even came out to our friend 3 years after her conservatory was installed the same day when a manufacturing fault showed up and agreed with the problem, so getting or has just got it fixed without any qibble.

Pays to go to a local company as their reputation is on the line and also helps support local business which we have done since we moved in.

Oh and also the garage door firm turned up as promised to finish off an edging across the top of the big door. Local firm again and both door and conservatory people knew each other and both were the bosses of their respective companies.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 08:16 PM

Re: conservatory replacement

I'm glad you've chosen a small(er) local company, why anyone would choose Anglian, Safestyle etc. is something I'll never understand.

Btw, the soft wood conservatories are very good as long as the timber is fully dried before use, this way the moisture/damp isn't sealed in when painted/treated. I much prefer it to hardwood, just a personal choice.

Are you going for uPVC?

Ps: may I suggest you ask your man to seal the lead flashings with lead sealant, not mortar as it(looks)is now.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 08:29 PM

Yes UPVC is what we have ordered low maintenance. We have not had any problems with the lead flushing but will check out how they are going to do it. At the moment it looks as if it is set into the brickwork cement joints.
When done the now standard air gap ( gas filled) between the class panes should make the conservatory warmer. As it is at present it is the old narrow gap which is not the best for heat retention.

The new roof will be reflective (blue ) self clean glass, not the twin wall perspect on it now. When it rains on the roof the noise is defining so much so the TV has to be turned up and that is even with the patio sliding doors to the lounge closed

This is the last major job to get done on the house at last and got it how we want it.

Also got to dismantle the log store on the side of the house which I will do shortly, maybe even make a start tomorrow as I am itching to get it down. When you have an itch you have to scratch it

This would have been done last year If I had not had my illness that kept me in/out of hospital most of the year
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 09:21 PM

Hope you're going to salvage the roof tiles, there's about £200-300 in resale value.

Lead work when pointed into the bricks can attract water ingress through the mortar as the depth is about 25mm instead of the full depth of the brick. Although this method was acceptable in bygone years it was found to be inferior to new sealants available.

Just a bit of free advice from a brickie.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top