Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 10:00 AM

Re: Cheapest PAYG Mobile? 1p

Originally Posted by caricature ->
When leaving who ever your are with ask for a pac code.

http://www.paccodes.co.uk/
Thanks matey. Very helpful
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well we paid our mortgage off and have no debts so the sneery attitude is wasted here. I'll continue to fight for the low paid and those on benefit as they need help not because I do.
It's about a mobile phone tariff, not you and your personal life.
Lots of people pay way over the top for mobile coverage, but just can't be arsed to check out other deals. The same as other insurance / household bills / car insurance etc.
Off topic, but I have to respond. Some low paid people, as was on the TV today, spend money on takeaways to feed their kids. Total crap that they can't afford to live. Go to the supermarket and buy veg. It's cheaper and better for you than a takeaway. Just too friggin' lazy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
It's about a mobile phone tariff, not you and your personal life.
Lots of people pay way over the top for mobile coverage, but just can't be arsed to check out other deals. The same as other insurance / household bills / car insurance etc.
Off topic, but I have to respond. Some low paid people, as was on the TV today, spend money on takeaways to feed their kids. Total crap that they can't afford to live. Go to the supermarket and buy veg. It's cheaper and better for you than a takeaway. Just too friggin' lazy.
It was about a mobile phone tariff until anyone had a different view to the thread starter then it got personal. The idea people are wasting money on things when they are hard up isn't always true, many don't do the things you talk about at all. They do not have the money to spend on take always or they carry a phone they are restricted to emergency calls only because they have little or no credit on them. Many low paid can't get contracts that are cheaper, or utilities on a pre paid meter are all they can get.

I don't see it as lazy as many are working damned hard they either don't have time or understand how to change tariffs.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It was about a mobile phone tariff until anyone had a different view to the thread starter then it got personal. The idea people are wasting money on things when they are hard up isn't always true, many don't do the things you talk about at all. They do not have the money to spend on take always or they carry a phone they are restricted to emergency calls only because they have little or no credit on them. Many low paid can't get contracts that are cheaper, or utilities on a pre paid meter are all they can get.

I don't see it as lazy as many are working damned hard they either don't have time or understand how to change tariffs.
How do you know they have a restricted phone?....or a phone for that matter as it wouldn't be pinned to their ears if they couldn't use them......Do they all shout "Yo Julie, I have no credit and my phone is restricted to emergency calls only"

You always remind me of this joke

A friend of mine named Larry once told me, around the time of Bill Clinton's 2nd inauguration, "You know, President Clinton and I are buddies."
I said, "Sure you are."
He said, "No, really! Just turn on your TV tonight to the Inaugural Ball. You'll see me."
Sure enough, I turned on the TV that night, and there was Larry, talking to President Clinton with his arm around the guy.

Not long after, I was talking to Larry about how much I admired Johnny Depp as an actor. Larry said, "Oh, he's a good friend."
I said, "Noooo!"
Larry said, "Let's hop in my car". He drove me to the bar Johnny Depp owns, and as we sipped drinks, Johnny happened to walk by, immediately exclaimed "Larry!" and fell into Larry's arms.

This was getting spooky. Larry seemed to know everyone! I tested Larry with a few more people. We were back in the Bay Area. Larry was telling me he was buddy-buddy with Jerry Brown. We went to a Press Conference at Oakland City Hall, and just before Brown started answering questions, he said "I see my friend Larry out there."

Same kind of thing happened when we went to Bob Dylan's house and rang the bell. Bob answered the door, said "Larry!" gave my friend a big hug, and invited us in for drinks.

I was becoming a believer, but then one day we were having another conversation and Larry said something about "my friend the Pope."
I said, "You can't know him, too!"
Larry said, "Wanna bet?"
Larry happens to be very well off, so he flew the both of us to Rome. We took a cab to St. Peters Square. We were standing in the big crowd below the balcony of the Pope's apartment. Larry said, "Excuse me for a little while" and disappeared into the crowd.
A little while after that, John Paul appeared on the balcony and started blessing people. And who should be up there beside him but...you guessed it!
I was utterly amazed! I nudged a fellow standing next to me, pointed to the balcony, and said, "Look!"
The guy shaded his eyes with his palm, peered up at the balcony, turned back to me, and said, "Who's that guy up there with Larry?"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2017, 12:24 PM

All this 1p for this and 1p a minute for that etc, how quaint.

My mobile service costs $25 a month (£12) and includes 1.5Gb data, unlimited texts and unlimited calls to any number including overseas calls to UK, USA, Malaysia and seven other countries.

Suits me, I still have a VOIP line at home for those odd people that won't call a mobile number but that costs me nothing as part of my broadband fibre. I use my mobile phone for all my calls and is now the only number I give people.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
How do you know they have a restricted phone?....or a phone for that matter as it wouldn't be pinned to their ears if they couldn't use them......Do they all shout "Yo Julie, I have no credit and my phone is restricted to emergency calls only"

You always remind me of this joke

A friend of mine named Larry once told me, around the time of Bill Clinton's 2nd inauguration, "You know, President Clinton and I are buddies."
I said, "Sure you are."
He said, "No, really! Just turn on your TV tonight to the Inaugural Ball. You'll see me."
Sure enough, I turned on the TV that night, and there was Larry, talking to President Clinton with his arm around the guy.

Not long after, I was talking to Larry about how much I admired Johnny Depp as an actor. Larry said, "Oh, he's a good friend."
I said, "Noooo!"
Larry said, "Let's hop in my car". He drove me to the bar Johnny Depp owns, and as we sipped drinks, Johnny happened to walk by, immediately exclaimed "Larry!" and fell into Larry's arms.

This was getting spooky. Larry seemed to know everyone! I tested Larry with a few more people. We were back in the Bay Area. Larry was telling me he was buddy-buddy with Jerry Brown. We went to a Press Conference at Oakland City Hall, and just before Brown started answering questions, he said "I see my friend Larry out there."

Same kind of thing happened when we went to Bob Dylan's house and rang the bell. Bob answered the door, said "Larry!" gave my friend a big hug, and invited us in for drinks.

I was becoming a believer, but then one day we were having another conversation and Larry said something about "my friend the Pope."
I said, "You can't know him, too!"
Larry said, "Wanna bet?"
Larry happens to be very well off, so he flew the both of us to Rome. We took a cab to St. Peters Square. We were standing in the big crowd below the balcony of the Pope's apartment. Larry said, "Excuse me for a little while" and disappeared into the crowd.
A little while after that, John Paul appeared on the balcony and started blessing people. And who should be up there beside him but...you guessed it!
I was utterly amazed! I nudged a fellow standing next to me, pointed to the balcony, and said, "Look!"
The guy shaded his eyes with his palm, peered up at the balcony, turned back to me, and said, "Who's that guy up there with Larry?"
How do you know they don't is my question. I know some do because I've come across so many can't ring into work or ask me to make a call for them. I work with poorer end of the market I cleaning I guess so I see how many live. I've always been lucky I didn't feel a need to have a mobile before I could afford to use it properly. Others younger than us don't have that luxury. If you want to ring 999 you had better be carrying a phone yourself as pay phones are very few these days.

I haven't read your joke eyesight not good enough for long text today so apologies for that.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
All this 1p for this and 1p a minute for that etc, how quaint.

My mobile service costs $25 a month (£12) and includes 1.5Gb data, unlimited texts and unlimited calls
And your point is ? . . . . . .

It's actually more like £15 a month in UK money and that means £180 a year !

1pMobile is minimum £30 a year and for that you would get 3000 texts, the equiv of 8 texts per day. Of course if that wasn't enough you could deposit more money into the account.

For people who need a basic text/call service and who aren't glued 24x7 to their mobile, then 1pMobile is the cheapest out there. Everyone has different needs.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
And your point is ? . . . . . .

It's actually more like £15 a month in UK money and that means £180 a year !

1pMobile is minimum £30 a year and for that you would get 3000 texts, the equiv of 8 texts per day. Of course if that wasn't enough you could deposit more money into the account.

For people who need a basic text/call service and who aren't glued 24x7 to their mobile, then 1pMobile is the cheapest out there. Everyone has different needs.
OH dear, does it have to be explained?

I am taking part in a forum and my point is that I don't have to worry about my phone costs because they are fixed. If I ring a government department or a business and they keep me waiting for 50 minutes I am not worrying about the cost. I can ring my brother in the UK or my friends in Malaysia and chat for as long and as often as I like.

As for the data who doesn't need data? Your phone is your diary, GPS, ATM etc perhaps importantly your phone is your wifi; all my travel blog posts were uploaded from my computer using my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot.

As for the money yes that is more accurate I just divide by half for simplicity but £15 a month? that is just pocket money... what is it? five coffees? Get some perspective.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-07-2017, 02:31 AM

I suppose I should have added that if I can get this in a high wage country then you should be able to get the same or better for cheaper by shopping around in the UK. Farting around with saving a few cents here or there is absurd when you can get rid of the expensive landline and have a phone you can take anywhere for far less and not worry about call costs.

Yeah, yeah! I know all the Luddites will come out of the woodwork saying, "I don't want people ringing me when I am in the park" and other such garbage. A mobile phone has an on/off switch, a silent mode, call blocking etc etc. No reason not to have one - far more control than your landline.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2017, 08:55 AM

All very nice Bruce but the topic at hand was PAYG not contracts.

All you are doing there is making your case that for you a contract better suits your needs. That's fine, but it's not the topic of the thread.

In the world of PAYG mobiles, I'm offering the suggestion that 1pMobile is the cheapest offering out there.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top