Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Change to combi-boiler?

Hoping to move house soon and the new house needs some work doing on it, including updating the heating system. Currently an old boiler and hot water tank, but I'm thinking I would be better off with a combi-boiler. Just wondering how complex the change would be in terms of pipework etc. As I live alone it seems sensible not to be heating tanks of water which I don't need.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Re: Change to combi-boiler?

Hi orangutan, yes, a sensible move usually. Modern condensing boilers are very efficient these days and if you mainly shower rather than bathe then a combi is usually the best option. Pipework wise the combi is usually simpler and if the boiler is installed in the same spot then there should be no major alterations required. Let us know how you get on!
Barry
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 08:11 PM

I understand the new boilers are a lot more efficient these days and my son had a combi installed which has been a great improvement - it has made a difference to his gas bill. The one thing he didn't realise was how different the pipework is. He ended up with a new gas pipe on the outside of his wall (starting at the meter) going to the boiler. I don't know if this was because he has solid floors, but I have seen it on quite a few houses when they have new boilers. Some folks have had the boilers put intot he loft and the pipework has ended up going right up the wall, which doesn't look very attractive. Just a thought and perhaps something to ask about. It is also possible that you may be able to get a grant for a new more economical boiler, so its worth finding out which boilers qualify.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Good point about checking for the availability of grants Aerolor, nice one.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Hoping to move house soon and the new house needs some work doing on it, including updating the heating system. Currently an old boiler and hot water tank, but I'm thinking I would be better off with a combi-boiler. Just wondering how complex the change would be in terms of pipework etc. As I live alone it seems sensible not to be heating tanks of water which I don't need.

First of all I am a retired heating engineer.

A combi is a far better system than a "tank" system.

You get instant hot water and as much as you want with out it going cold.

You have no tanks in loft to freeze in winter.

Depending on how your old system is fitted in your airing cupboard in respect to the boiler in most cases there should be very little work involved in changing the pipe work.

Don't know what the law is in Ireland but over in this country the law is you have to install a condensing boiler.

Condensing boilers(either conventional or a combi) are at least 92% efficient which will be a big saving over your old one.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Whatever you do, make sure you take out a service contract after the guarantee runs out, as most Combis are very temperamental. Ours is a Potterton, and has needed to be seen a couple of times a year for various things.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Their are numerous ways to update your heating and numerous types of Boilers, the basic question is 'COST'.
New boilers are more cost efficient these days so it is up to you what you want out of it.
I prefer a storage tank type of heating combined with combi but the boiler cost us quite a lot more than conventional combi boilers.

Get British Gas to do a survey for you and talk you through the pros and Cons, the survey is free(well it used to be) and it should give you a clearer view of what you need to do from cost,work upheaval.

You could also download a table of heating etc from http://www.baxi.co.uk/docs/Product_table.pdf
which lets you see for yourself how each system performs.

Like John says, combis can be and are somewhat tempermental.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 10:28 PM

Thanks, all. I'm in southwest Ireland so no British Gas surveys possible!

I'm a bit concerned about references to combi-boilers being temperamental. And I do like my baths. Can put in electric shower, so maybe I'm better off just putting in a more efficient condensing boiler?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 10:43 PM

We had a Worcester Bosch Condensing boiler fitted in 2005 so it's roughly 6 years old now. We haven't had any problems at all with it and we've only had it serviced twice (I know they should be serviced every year)

We get plenty of continuous hot water and I think it's one of the best changes we ever made.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 10:57 PM

We've had two combi boilers over ten years. Our water is very hard which clogs up the system and we found that the heat exchanger is quite expensive to replace. They replaced it once under the guarantee but not the second time it clogged up so we had to buy the new boiler. So maybe check the guarantee for heat exchanger replacements if your water is hard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top